Lowering 4X4

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
On a 4X4 single cab F-250 what is the best way to lower the truck front and rear? Can I run the springs under the axle to lower it? Looking for about 4" front & rear. Would also like to upgrade to different shocks right now it just has monroe all the way around ( I know I know cheap) so I thought about buying some IS5000 rancho shocks?

It's his truck...let him do whatever he wants with it.
I've had PM's from people wanting to lower 4wd's due to health reasons, disability, etc.
ANyway...You're not gonna get 4" in front...MAYBE 2" max without running into clearance issues with the oil pan.front diff and a few other things. There are no bolt on kits of any kind for the front.
The back...you can do whatever you want with that....any 2wd rear kit will fit.
If you just wanna level it out...pull the rear blocks and maybe add a rear shackle. The blocks will get you 2" and a shackle will get you another 1 1/2"...it should sit fairly level after that for all of 50 bucks and a few hours work.

What Rich said.

Up front, you can get some soft factory leaf springs off a gas engine Excursion and that will put you about as low as you can go.

Personally, I like Monroe Reflex shocks better than Rancho.

Rich your the man...thanks for the help. Any good websites to buy this stuff at?

does anybody have any pictures of a lowered 4x4?? or know where to find one??

We have a 4x4 that is lowered. Its not 4in in the front but it is as low as you can go with out c-notching the frame. I'm pretty sure we dont have any pics of it floating around either. We ended up taking the front springs and de-arching them some. If you decided to take the rear block out you may have to get shorter u-bolts for the rear which isnt that big of deal. But as far as de-arching the springs go the ride has not suffured in any way. It gave us about 1 1/2- 2in drop. If you plan on going any lower you will have to notch the frame and shorten the link bar to keep the front end in factory location. The arms for the swaybar will have to be shortened too or they will hang way down. We have looked at lowering our 4x4's from all aspects. We just havent taken the step yet to c-notch one just yet. Oh the front drive shaft may have to be shortened just a little too if your trying to go that low too.

Never thought of lowering my 4wd, maybe it'll save my arms from having to jump up into the cab and save me from having to put a gay looking lift on it...btw, im a parapalegic..lol

I dont know what year truck you have (leafs or coils) but you could call Deaver Springs, in Santa Ana, CA and have them make you a set of springs. They are having my front coils made to lower the front of my truck 2" when I get around to having them done. You could take off the rear block and do what WAO Racing suggested; you could have the rear springs de-arched and that will lower the ride height; they can also make the pack softer and give you a better ride too; which is what I will be doing too. I would look into getting some bilstein shocks over ranchos.

the rear blocks have the bumpstops integrated into them though. i have heard that if you remove them and bottom out really hard you can push the driveline into the t-case and break a tailshaft. you might have to have the driveshaft shortened a bit depending on how low you go. chances are it would compress the drive shaft and kink it before the t-case broke though.

I just lowered mine yesterday and when I get some pics I will post them. I cut one coil off of the front springs, removed the 2" block and the bottom spring in the rear. It lowered the front about 1-1/2" and the rear about 3". So far so good but I will let you know if I have any problems.

06f250sd said:
I dont know what year truck you have (leafs or coils) but you could call Deaver Springs, in Santa Ana, CA and have them make you a set of springs. They are having my front coils made to lower the front of my truck 2" when I get around to having them done. You could take off the rear block and do what WAO Racing suggested; you could have the rear springs de-arched and that will lower the ride height; they can also make the pack softer and give you a better ride too; which is what I will be doing too. I would look into getting some bilstein shocks over ranchos.

The de-arching is for the front springs.

Nevermind then; different setup. I have coils in the front and Deaver was going to have new ones made for the drop. Then they were going to de-arch the rear leafs.

Back