lowering the rear??

AlmostBroke94

So im looking to lower my truck just a little bit. my goal for now is to lower the rear to level out with the front...And i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on lowering the rear, and if the way i did it is bad or good? I would like to replace all the shocks in the future and any suggestions on shocks or what to go with would be much appreciated! my list for my truck is just to long :doh: so i figured id start out with some simple things first:

i took out these 5 inch blocks..
Presentastion1.jpg

and then i replaced them with these 2 inch blocks and new u bolts..
Presentation1.jpg

the top is with the 2 inch blocks and the bottom is with the 5 inch blocks that came on the truck when i bought it in person it looks like its a bit more lower, almost level but in the pictures i dont think i can tell, was just tryin to post the difference in height. I know it looks like crap im painting it at the end of this month and hopefully wil get some 20x9's.
Presentatiosn1.jpg

I just did the same to the rear of my truck last night. Did it the same way as well.

I think im gonna drop the front an inch as well....

I just did the same to the rear of my truck last night. Did it the same way as well.

I think im gonna drop the front an inch as well....

ive thought about doing maybe two and then lowering the rear a bit more and stop there. could you post up some pics if and when you do it?

Yea il get some good pics of it tonight with just the rear lowered. It might be a week or so til i have time to do the front.

You might want to check the rear drive shaft for clearance in/out. Mine looks to be ok, but you wouldnt want it to be binding up. Any lower and i think you'll have to shorten it a little...

Awsome, and thats what im gonna go do right now, after i did it, it looked pretty good, but ill double check just to be sure. And as far as shortening it, if you were to cut it, wouldnt that make it weaker where you made the cut and weld?

Not if you cut it at the yoke.. Be sure you have it re-balanced after though. Otherwise vibrations will haunt you from now on.

Havent got my traction bars back on yet, but snapped a couple quick pics this evening

IMG_2931.jpg

IMG_2926.jpg

Last edited:
mathews8pt that looks soo good! whats the heighth from tire to top of the inside wheel well? mines 10in at the front and 11in at the rear. And i also looked at my drive shaft today and it looks pretty good, doesnt look like it would bind up at all.

Also one of my buddies said he took a leaf out of his truck (i forget wich one) and said he noticed a difference on how much smoother it handles over bumps? What are the pros and cons to removing a leaf spring? also is not having the bump stops gonna give me any problems?? this is a street truck and the only other "rough" surface it sees, is driving down dirt roads. Some guy that noticed i didnt have bump stops started yellin at me and preaching about how im gonna experience all these problems, and how i will damage alot?

Taking out a leaf will soften up the ride, but lower hauling capacity a little. Also gives you better traction off the line.

i dont know to much about suspension and all that so would it matter wich one i do take out??

mathews8pt that looks soo good! whats the heighth from tire to top of the inside wheel well? mines 10in at the front and 11in at the rear. And i also looked at my drive shaft today and it looks pretty good, doesnt look like it would bind up at all.

Thanks man!

8.5" in the front and 9" in the rear. THats with 285/75/16s on it. Im going to be swapping them for some 17s with a little wider tire soon.

Taking a leaf out will soften the ride and lower hauling capacity. You would want to take the bottom 1 of the 3 arched springs out. Unless you overload your truck you will see NO bad side affects of removing the bump stops.

Madmike, im not sure what im going to do with the grill/bumper yet. I am thinking rollpan in the rear though.

Last edited:
Used a 1.5" billet aluminum block from an ebay supplier. If you search my thread all the info is in there.

Definitely realign. I ate up my front tires when dropping from leveled (2" above stock) to 2" lower than stock because of my caster being quite a bit off.

Thanks man!

8.5" in the front and 9" in the rear. THats with 285/75/16s on it. Im going to be swapping them for some 17s with a little wider tire soon.

Taking a leaf out will soften the ride and lower hauling capacity. You would want to take the bottom 1 of the 3 arched springs out. Unless you overload your truck you will see NO bad side affects of removing the bump stops.

Madmike, im not sure what im going to do with the grill/bumper yet. I am thinking rollpan in the rear though.

a factory 17 or are you looking at some other brands? As well as the roll pan, after things happen as far as money im gonna purchase the one off of lmc truck. Have you thought about doing a vertical grill? i really like the look of it and think it would look sweet on your truck!

Used a 1.5" billet aluminum block from an ebay supplier. If you search my thread all the info is in there.

Definitely realign. I ate up my front tires when dropping from leveled (2" above stock) to 2" lower than stock because of my caster being quite a bit off.

i was gonna do the same, purchase it off ebay but i got to far ahead of my self taking things apart so i had to resort to the good ol' junk yard, i think mine came off of a 1500 cause i had to bore out the top hole to center the leafs onto it, as well shave the bottom centering pin a bit to sit flush

a factory 17 or are you looking at some other brands? As well as the roll pan, after things happen as far as money im gonna purchase the one off of lmc truck. Have you thought about doing a vertical grill? i really like the look of it and think it would look sweet on your truck!

I picked up some h2 wheels im going to paint to look like these.
077.jpg

I really havent thought about the grill at all honestly, im more interested in getting a set of 7x12 sac injectors to try out:rockwoot:

i was gonna do the same, purchase it off ebay but i got to far ahead of my self taking things apart so i had to resort to the good ol' junk yard, i think mine came off of a 1500 cause i had to bore out the top hole to center the leafs onto it, as well shave the bottom centering pin a bit to sit flush

I had to open up the locater holes in the blocks for the dowels also given the blocks I found were for a ford application. I knew this going into it as the ebay seller informed me before hand IIRC.

Nick when you lowered yours did it sit like this? i have v10 springs and no blocks in the rear.. I think i need to put a block back in the back and lose some leafs and level it..
2011-03-05_13-01-10_773.jpg

Back