M-11 powered FL-70

white93

I thought I would share. One of my friends just bought an Fl-70 with a 310hp M-11 celect and a 10spd. It rides nice and doesn't seem to labor all the time like other fl-70's Ive driven with the baby cat's. It seems geared towards fuel efficiency, 1200@70, 1500rpm max governor, tall gears. He said it needs injectors because it runs rough and maybe a bigger radiator. I thought it was a cool little truck.

IMAG0419.jpg

IMAG0417.jpg

I didn't realize they put that motor in the smaller chassic. It's not a bad motor, I've got one at 400 horse in a fl112 dumptruck. Runs real decent but you can tell they are a small motor on big hills.

The computer can be set to max rpm's and horse power if he needs it. Mine was a 330 horse and governed at 63 mph. Now it governs out at 86 mph. Made a lot better truck out of it.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that's not a factory option. If it is its the first one I've heard of. Most came with the 8.3l or the 5.9l or a Cat.

I know it wasn't factory....I looked all over for one like that before I swapped out the 3126E CAT for a 5.9L Cummins in our FL80. I would have loved to stick an M11 in there, but I didn't have the time or manpower to fab everything up. The 5.9L dropped right in, and still has WAY more power than the 3126E....with my help of course!

Chris

It's not factory, it had an 8.3. I dont know how much work was involved installing that engine but it looks pretty good. The most obvious clues are the coolant hoses, exhaust routing, and wiring.

That is a bad ass tow rig. Bet she pulls like a champ. I drive stone slingers and most of them have volvo or Mack engines at work but I commondered an 02 volvo with an m11 and with a little bigger turbo, ecm opened up and some better injectors it runs real good even loaded at 73k. Empty I'm 31k so that rig is probably lighter loaded then my tare weight. The truck I drive has about 400k and tons of hours and hasn't been apart.,

My bad didn't pay a lot of attention to the pictures.

At 52,000 it walks down the road real decent. At 74,000 I don't get in a hurry but the pintle hitch trailer is a little over loaded right now with two axles.

now that is the size engine that belonged in them trucks I bet it works good

It pulls okay for the hp rating. Loaded at 65k he said it takes a little while to get to 70. Its a matter of time before it gets modded. Nothing he has is stock:st:.

It died.
IMAG0437.jpg

We think a couple injectors hung open. It still runs but very rough and it makes lots of black smoke at idle. The truck wasn't very far from home so I didn't adjust the neck or fill up the air bags. The little 1st gen pulls pretty good for grossing 32k.

This is how far the engine is inside the cab.
IMAG0438.jpg

keep us posted, Looks nice the Ford 8000's with M11 were tight they have the engine leaning over to the side to fit them in etc.. helped a friend swap one out..

Tormentor - Can you elaborate on the ISM Cam swap?...I didn't realize the block or heads were same size?

Thanks,
Deo

Tormentor - Can you elaborate on the ISM Cam swap?...I didn't realize the block or heads were same size?

They are the same engine. Only the fuel system and electronics changed to meet emissions laws.

The ISM cam has a much more aggressive injector lobe than the M11 cam. Without changing the ECM to match the ISM cam profile it will end up injecting a LOT more fuel than the ECM expects. No CEL but it will smoke like a train and pull as hard as one!

It wasn't intentional, the parts monkey ordered the wrong part number using a CPL he "thought" matched the vehicle.

How does it inject more fuel when the computer controls fuel and the cam compresses it? Not ? you I just don't understand.

I know when we changed mine from 330 horse to 400 it made a lot better truck out of it. Just the right motor for a tandem dump truck. The guy that turned it up said when you push them up around 450 to 500 in a road tractor they have some bearing problems. Don't know if this is right or not.

How does it inject more fuel when the computer controls fuel and the cam compresses it? Not ? you I just don't understand.

I dont understand how these style injectors work period. Where does the electronic part come into play? I always thought the cam lobe pushing the top of the injector is what injected the fuel and an injection pump controlled how much fuel goes to the injectors.

They have a solonoid that the computer trips to let the amount of fuel in for the load or rpm it needs. Then the cam pushes to compress and inject the fuel. Pressurized fuel in a fuel rail feeds the solonoid. This is a simple explaination, someone smarter than me could probably explain it better.

Last edited:
I would think that if the cam was different, it could bring fuel pressure up faster, and maybe higher...so even with the same tune in it, more fuel pressure should be a little power bump.

Chris

How does it inject more fuel when the computer controls fuel and the cam compresses it?
The computer only controls duration of the injector solenoid. Since the ISM cam ramps up faster it makes the injector flow more fuel in the same amount of time.

On the ISM it helps reduce emissions by shortening how long it takes for all the fuel to burn, the same amount of fuel is injected in a shorter amount of time.
It also helps explain why the ISM engines have a shorter injector life than the M11's did.

Last edited:
Back