Machine work what's needed/recommended

Master_Chase

Hello, I need some advice from people smarter than me.

My block and head are at the machine shop and it looks like it will be bored .020 over. I know the basics flat head, block and magnafluxing but what else should I do? Harden valve seats?

Thanks in advance.

depending on mileage a valvejob isn't a bad investment. Make sure the mains are true and not out of round. Kinda shootin in the dark. Why you rebuilding in the first place?

Bought it used with 219K miles before I put it in my Excursion wanted to make sure the engine was in good health so I had it torn down by a big diesel mechanic. #4 cylinder was a little messed up so took it along with the head and crank to the machine shop.

EDIT: Forgot to mention it's a 2003.

Last edited:
I worked in the machine shop for a year or two, any cummins that came in usually got the head decked, valve job and sometimes valve guides. The blocks for the most part were fine as far as line bore and surface went. Hope this helps

I worked in the machine shop for a year or two, any cummins that came in usually got the head decked, valve job and sometimes valve guides. The blocks for the most part were fine as far as line bore and surface went. Hope this helps

It does thank you.

Would harden valve seats be a good idea?

I don't know about the hardened seats. We built a lot of high hp diesels, cummins and duramax's. I don't re call putting hardened seats in the cummins. Our pulling truck put down 1457 on the rollers and it has stock seats. On a side note we did the machine work on and built a p pump dmax, just thought I'd share bc it was pretty badass

I don't know about the hardened seats. We built a lot of high hp diesels, cummins and duramax's. I don't re call putting hardened seats in the cummins. Our pulling truck put down 1457 on the rollers and it has stock seats. On a side note we did the machine work on and built a p pump dmax, just thought I'd share bc it was pretty badass

The reason I asked is because I did it to my 6.0 because it had some small cracks in some of the seats.

I'm not much of a Duramax fan but would love to see that one.

I don't think I should get the valve job done yet as I'm wanting to upgrade the springs and maybe replace the valves, undecided on that one since I haven't put a lot of research into it yet.

Do remember the common rails have a problem about dropping valve seats, so make sure the machine shop checks and makes sure they are not loose when doing the machine work, hate to ruin a cylinder over a seat

Thank you again, I'll make a note of that when I visit the shop tomorrow. Now on to research springs a seats.

If the head gets machined to bring it back true, a valve job is recommended to retain the specified valve recession.

Either have the valve seats staked into place or get oversized seats pressed in.

The valve seats is a big one to have checked being an 03. My understanding is that it was kind of hit or miss but since you've got apart definitely have them staked in or bigger seats installed for sure.

I wish I saw your responses this morning going to have to change my setting so it emails me like the other threads I'm on.

I guess I'll call the machine shop up and ask them to stake the seats.

Back