Machining turbo inlet s500sx

mike diesel

I've got an s500sx machined out to 98mm as my atmosphere charger in my compound setup. It is awesome, have zero complaints.

20150729_151635_zpsgo4oz35k.jpg

My question is...should I machine the inlet down? I ultimately want to get rid of that factory bell mouth inlet. But my lathe doesn't open up far enough to chuck the housing in there and just cut it out. Also you can see how tall the inlet actually is. Almost 2.5" tall. That seems exessive but I'm not an engineer either. I can cut it in my mill and cut 3/4" off the height of the inlet and that would net me 2 in 1. Shorten the inlet height as well as get rid of the bell mouth. I've seen the bell mouth machined out on them but never seen the height cut down. Is this a dumb idea? I don't want to do something I'll regret obviously. I do not see how doing so could negatively affect anything. Opinions?

20150908_203150_zps9hji2ebo.jpg

20150908_205624_zps6ff1qli0.jpg

image_zps8lbmgcl1.jpg

I did mine with a band saw, it took about 30 minutes of getting it leveled, clamped, re leveled, and cut. I have not used it yet but to me I think a decent amount more of fresh air will be available.

Well that's exactly what I was looking for. I'd be leaving the inlet as long as possible still. I might give it a go tomorrow morning. That would give me a hair more clearance for my air filter as well.

That Bellmouth is pinned in place. You should be able to just remove the roll pins and take it off. You should pick up a little power by removing it as well.

Last edited:
That Bellmouth is pinned in place. You should be able to just remove the roll pins and take it off. You should pick up a little power by removing it as well.

It is not pinned in place. It is cast as part of the housing.

Found a way to rotate the housing while in the vice to cut out the bell mouth without having to machine the height of the inlet down. Worked out pretty dang good. Has a few chatter marks but nothing crazy. I am very happy with how it turned out.

Before

20150908_203150_zps9hji2ebo.jpg

All finished with a touch up on the polish job.

20150909_162318_zpscza9au4k.jpg

Can't really say if it's a restriction. More of one of those "feel good" mods knowing that it's not there anymore.

My initial thinking was that it acted as a silencer ring.

There's probably a good reason they put it in there, but never hurts to try something different.

Sorry my mistake. Yes it is just a silencer ring. Any of the dyno sheets I have seen have gained power with it's removal.

Sorry my mistake. Yes it is just a silencer ring. Any of the dyno sheets I have seen have gained power with it's removal.

I will know this weekend if it changed anything. Going to be dynoing at weekend on the edge. Same exact dyno I did 1232hp on.

I try to stay out of trouble :D

I can honestly say, I've never had a single ticket in this truck.

Oh, I didnt mean trouble for you....I meant trouble for your opponents. ;)

Alright well, track times didn't change, not even one bit.

Ran 10.867@130 before.

Ran 10.870@130 tonight.

Lol oh well, I still feel good about about.

Back