Mahle 155* vs Stock

John Robinson said:
update: 3800756 cross`over to a moly part # 286140-wr. The price is 114.00 per hole.
Welp, one more thing. I found the original part # 3800756 for $110.00 with rings at Edwards Equipment. 817-573-7755 is their #

John Robinson said:
Welp, one more thing. I found the original part # 3800756 for $110.00 with rings at Edwards Equipment. 817-573-7755 is their #
That's a lot better than the price I found. The one I found was ~160 a hole.

branodn.

I got my engine kit from those people... I will tell you they are G R E A T to deal with.. But the pistons in the auction are not the marine version and are not coated.. I'm sure they can get them but you'll have to get ahold of them to be sure..

But I have to re-iterate.. they are great people and I had ZERO issues with them..

My $.02

Brad

Voodo Trucker, I am having the same symptoms with my truck with these pistons. Turning down the fuel never got rid of the black smoke? Was it unstreetable smoke, or liveable? Even with the valet on I get excessive black smoke.
Thanks in advance. Adam

John Robinson said:

John, what did or does the Mahle pistons cost! Are the ones your talking about that much better......stock bore! I seem to be having good luck with the Mahle (I'm guessing) that PDR put in my short block.

Jim

Pistons

Im interested in what pistons everybody is running and how well they perform to different injector/timing configurations. Anybody running the teflon coated skirt marine pistons? Im going to be going together with my motor shortly and cant decide on pistons.

Jim Fulmer said:
John, what did or does the Mahle pistons cost! Are the ones your talking about that much better......stock bore! I seem to be having good luck with the Mahle (I'm guessing) that PDR put in my short block.

Jim
I found the mahle pistons for $325.00 per set on e-bayI dont have any I dea if they are any "better" but they do have the coating on the sides. Jim have you or anybody else ever measured the cc of these pistons with .060 shaved off ?

luke h said:
I messaged a guy about these
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/vie...llow_track_link=1&track=0237e0f502-e2248&sp=1
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/ncarmysurplus/DSC01538.JPG
But he couldnt get them for a 5.9.

John are the Mahles on ebay the stock ones from car city engine.

Is anybody at all running the Mahle Marine coated pistons in a street truck! Ive heard the compression was to low for street by the time you have them fly cut.
:thankyou2:

Whats the Cummins PN?

Jim have you or anybody else ever measured the cc of these pistons with .060 shaved off ?

Not a clue, Piers told me about 15.5 compression with my .008 milled head and a .010 over gasket.

Jim

luke h said:
I messaged a guy about these
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/vie...llow_track_link=1&track=0237e0f502-e2248&sp=1
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/ncarmysurplus/DSC01538.JPG
But he couldnt get them for a 5.9.

John are the Mahles on ebay the stock ones from car city engine.

Is anybody at all running the Mahle Marine coated pistons in a street truck! Ive heard the compression was to low for street by the time you have them fly cut.
:thankyou2:
Yes they are from car city. I have not actually ever bought any mahles. 2 days ago I ordered a master overhaul set for a 12v for 525.00 from these guys, they seemed nice enough. I`m sure this ia a knock off kit but for the truck it is going in it should be fine. I`ll let everybody know what the quality looks like when it gets here. A little fyi. I`m going to cc the cummins mariene piston both ways. The cc of the bowl & the cc of the top of the piston. This will be with .060 cut off the top. When I get a solid # there We will get a accurate comp ratio with a .020 gasket

Last edited:
John Robinson said:
Yes they are from car city. I have not actually ever bought any mahles. 2 days ago I ordered a master overhaul set for a 12v for 525.00 from these guys, they seemed nice enough. I`m sure this ia a knock off kit but for the truck it is going in it should be fine. I`ll let everybody know what the quality looks like when it gets here. A little fyi. I`m going to cc the cummins mariene piston both ways. The cc of the bowl & the cc of the top of the piston. This will be with .060 cut off the top. When I get a solid # there We will get a accurate comp ratio with a .020 gasket

Same kit I ordered from them.. Everything seemed fine.. Have a Cummins HG sitting in my room incase I blow the gasket from the kit in the future, but so far I've got just over 2k on it with no issues or funny noises..
AND no more leaks :rockwoot:

luke h said:
Jim, Which Mahle pistons do you run. How much fly cutting was done.

Don't know the part number, either .050 or .060 milled off the top, no valve relief. It will clear a .550 cam lift with a .020 gasket easy.

Jim

Jim

Jim thanks for your reply!
I think I will be going with the marine pistons from piers. I will be running a .450 lift cam but plan on getting enough taken off that I can go bigger in the future. How well does the .550 cam act on the street. Do you know the duration?
Thanks for the help. I really want to get this build done right the first time since ive had so many problems with the truck!
Luke

Back