Makeing weasing noise

dkimmel

I just picked up a 2004 f350 with a 6.0. It has a weasing noise that I can hear in intake. When I'm driving it the engine will miss off idle. Under full throttle it runs good. It has 280k on engine, but has had oil cooler, injectors, and an egr delete installed. Not all at once. The ficm is also new. I was told possible push rod or head gasket. Cylinder #6 fails contribution test.
any ideas?:umno:

Last edited:
Y pipe or intake gasket causing the noise, injector or possibly bad Ficm. Worst case down bad cylinder

The ficm was replaced already. It picks up the cylinder around 1200 rpm then the thing storms. Cat was also removed thought it might be plugged.

I'm new to the 6.0 engine. Would an injector make is have wease in the intake. The truck also shutters at cruising speed unless you into the throttle. You really feel it when converter is locked up.

My noise has changed to a compression noise in engine valley, no coolant loss. Can a head gasket cause this. I can see smoke in valley also. The compression sound is there every time cylinder fires.

Pull the lids and look at the heights of the valves, sounds to me like a valve train issue.

^^what he said. Check your valves. Had one do similar to how you describe and was a bent vavle. Also the guy had ran it for a long time till the problem got real bad and the intake was full of soot.

^^what he said. Check your valves. Had one do similar to how you describe and was a bent vavle. Also the guy had ran it for a long time till the problem got real bad and the intake was full of soot.

Thanks I'll do just that- I'll need to free up some shop space first.

2nd valve train. Have had many valve guides fail. If you are getting compression in v of engine its time to pull heads and have them reworked if they are not cracked

You have a junk rocker/bent pushrod....... if your lucky. Otherwise its cam/lifter time. When you check the rocker look at the fulcrum area and make sure the clip is intact and the ball is in place. At the valve end look that the puck is present and not worn down.

Finally got the time and space to pull cab, and heads.
third cylinder back on left side has a burnt intake valve, intake gasket was blown out in that cylinder. Time for a valve. I've heard these heads crack, Where should I look for cracks?

Picking up heads, machine shop found a few bad guides, five bad valves, NO cracks heads were nice and flat. I got 550 into them, plus gasket kit and stud kit.

:nail:I was looking through the bad parts from my heads and noticed a bag with a 8mm bolt in it. When I took the bolt from the bag I saw that it was badly beaten up. I called the machine shop to ask about the bolt. They told me it was laying in the Intake runner behind the valve. Someone must have dropped in into intake during the egr delete or oil cooler jobs. I guess I know now what broke the intake valve.

Back