Making oil loosing coolant

relay93

I'm sure this has been discussed several times. Just finish a 2200 mile trip to Wyoming with a buddy of mine and his 2006 3500 that he bought used. The truck has 60K miles and bone stock as the way he bought it. When we got back he checked oil level, one quart to full, checked the antifreeze spill tank level, it had dropped. My friend told me he had to drain a quart before we left on the trip. I suggested head gasket problem and that he should get an oil analysis. My friend took his truck to what use to be a reputable dealership in Claremore had the truck 3 days and they said they could not find anything wrong. My friend asked the service writer about getting an oil sample analyzed. The service writer said he had not heard of any such thing and did not who would do this.

Suggestions on where to send an oil sample in the Tulsa area or else where would be great. Also am I on the right track as a possible had gasket?

Thanks for any info received

Roger

I would hope this is not happening to you. Coolant in the oil has got to screw with the oils ability to lubricate the engine turbo ect. My truck goes thru coolant too and the oil lvl rises to. I think the my oil lvl is rising a little because of maybe alittle diesel fuel and soot in the oil.

make sure you tell him not to drive the truck when either diesel or antifreeze gets into the oil it thins out the oil and drops the oil pressure and lubricity. this can cause pistons to melt down due to lack of cooling and also failure of main and rod bearings. this also tends to make cam lobes wipe.

Well My buddy to his truck to the dealership in Broken Arrow Okla. and the told him that they found a hose that runs on the back side of the motor was leaking. They want $130 to replace I told my friend that we can fix that. My friend then asked what about the increase in oil level which now I think is caused from a leaking injector. The service writer that my friend spoke to said I did not know about that. My friend said that he told the other service writer about the oil level increasing. The service writer told my fiend that the mechanic working on his truck wanted to drive it home to see about a vibration and rough idle that my friend said that the truck was doing.

Can someone tell me about the hose that runs on the back side of the block?

Again thanks for the info.

this is where the hose with coolant at the back of the block goes..... #4 in the image

translines2-1.jpg

It's hard piped from the heater block then changes to hose before it enters the heat exchanger or trans cooler. It's a very short piece of hose. I just removed mine and that hose was very swollen and ready to blow. Get some hose clamps and a 1ft. piece of 5/8" hose for the repair.

There's no way for coolant to get into the oil from that hose or cooler though so, other than a blown head gasket... not sure what to tell you about that. If that trans cooler goes bad.... you'll have coolant in the trans fluid or vise versa

Back