Max RP and Max Timing?

shane.f

For you guys that are Super Tuna's what would you consider the max timing from 2000-3000, 3000-4000 and 4k+^ RPM? Also what would be max RP at these RPMS and what is the most devation that you would consider between commanded and actual? Exaple 24k commanded and 21k actual safe or nah?

I don't tune!! I'm just curious about what to look for in data logs

I say if its only off by that much its not to bad. There is a lot to consider on your statement since all trucks act differently.

There is no magic numbers for max timing

I say if its only off by that much its not to bad. There is a lot to consider on your statement since all trucks act differently.

There is no magic numbers for max timing

Let's say you are writing a new tune for a customer before seeing any data logs on the timing. Do you use known safe limits from other trucks with similar mods? Or do you just start small and work up?

At what devation to you start to worry about CP3 health and power reduction?

I'll just say my max timing is like 23-24°

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

really depends on Duration for the timing. I run about 39* of timing at 4500rpm with a 2550 duration and 25200psi of rail pressure. That's on my biggest tune. I start ramping pressure up from 24k to 25.2k after 3000rpm. When I tried running more timing I lost power, this timing is pulled back a few degrees from my saturation point.

really depends on Duration for the timing. I run about 39* of timing at 4500rpm with a 2550 duration and 25200psi of rail pressure. That's on my biggest tune. I start ramping pressure up from 24k to 25.2k after 3000rpm. When I tried running more timing I lost power, this timing is pulled back a few degrees from my saturation point.

Good info, I run my timing to about 45* of timing at 5200rpm. Will my truck ever reach that most likely no.

Duration seems in a very good zone.

Let's say you are writing a new tune for a customer before seeing any data logs on the timing. Do you use known safe limits from other trucks with similar mods? Or do you just start small and work up?

At what deviation to you start to worry about CP3 health and power reduction?

Most people asking for a tune are DD trucks that never reach over 3500 RPM. So you tune different to that then a max hp truck. Like stated earlier a save limit for one truck isn't the same as another truck.

With CP3 health I don't worry about that until datalogs prove pressure loss. You can always tune around a weak CP3 also. Power reduction isn't known until you strap every truck to the DYNO.

I should have mentioned my tune is a single shot. I don't run over ~3200 rpm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most people asking for a tune are DD trucks that never reach over 3500 RPM. So you tune different to that then a max hp truck. Like stated earlier a save limit for one truck isn't the same as another truck.

With CP3 health I don't worry about that until datalogs prove pressure loss. You can always tune around a weak CP3 also. Power reduction isn't known until you strap every truck to the DYNO.

I was just looking at the data logs that blew my HG.
It get real crazy around 2400RPM by 2800 it's at 34.6* & 2860 US and 27k requested 22-23kactual and 0% FPRDC

Im not an expert but it seams a little exsissive just ask my HG
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204600261404938&id=1786561895&set=a.1031743692298.4991.1786561895&source=56&ref=bookmarks

Last edited:
Got it im looking at it now.

I think the only thing I'm kinda upset about is even after knowing my HG blew, when I went for revisions he looked at it and said nope looks good to me and made zero revisions. Like hmmm well maybe we should back it down just a lil lmao

Generally you will start to lose power below 21kpsi in the rail.

I would try to keep timing below 30° until after 3200rpm, start cutting pulse at higher rpm if it can't hold rail pressure. Will also reduce the need to run big timing up top with a smaller shot.

that sounds like lot of timing for that RPM and duration, who does your tuning?

Back