Melted #6 on my tow rig

Hoss

I had a piston cooling jet get plugged and melted #6 while towing my horse trailer and hauling my camper over the I-90 pass to go riding. Pulled the engine and tore it down to find the #6 jet plugged and the #1 broken off. The truck has 190k on it and had a new short block install at 80k under warrenty for the same issue on #5. This one is on my dime but I sure hope I dont have to do this every 100k :bang

Here are a few pictures this is the #6 piston
DSC06827.jpg

Here is the #6 cooling jet
DSC06821.jpg

and here is the #5 cooling jet the rest all look like this.
DSC06822.jpg

It is a 2002 HO 6 speed
just has an HX40 a comp box and a set of Diesel Dynamic stage 2's in it.

I'm doing really good actually, miss you guys too it was a blast while I was up there. But there's just something about TX. :)

is that head gasket material in the #1?

The plugged one is #6 and I do believe it is gasket material. The head gasket was not blown. But the gasket did not look good when I pulled the head. The broken jet on #1 was clear and I guess still working since #1 piston looked fine. just the end of the pastic nozzel was gone.

crazy... sorry for the misfortune :(

can the 04.5+ jets be retro-fitted and pistons clearanced?

I wish but no the oil gallies are not there. I would love to have the bolt on banjo style steel tubes that the newer blocks have but no dice.

Are the piston cooling nozzles in a CR on the mains blocked off? I know they have the banjo style but do they have the cooling nozzles like the older cummins?

Back