Melted piston carnage photos

Hoss

So here are a few pictures of my 02 after #6 melted. I found a plugged piston cooling jet and while disassembling I found a lot of matrerial in several of the rocket assembly oil passages. the stuff looks the same but I dont understand how anything could get from the the oil passages in the head (where I assume it started) to the main bearing journals where the piston cooling jets get their oil supply, without first going thru the oil filter???????
Anyone have any ideas?
Here are a few pictures.

The piston #6 that melted
DSC06831.jpg

A clean cooling jet from #5
DSC06822.jpg

The plugged cooling jet #6
DSC06821.jpg

Rocker assembly #4
DSC06957.jpg

Rocker assembly #3
DSC06958.jpg

Rocker assembly #2
DSC06959.jpg

A close up of what was there
DSC06960.jpg

Now the head gasket looked bad but was not leaking anywhere but even if it was coming apart and somehow getting up into the head oil passages I dont see how it could get into the cooling jet without first passing thru the oli filter. For the record this is a Dodge remanned short block with 80k on it and no I have never used Fram or any other cheap oil filters only Fleetguard or Baldwin. Anyone ever see anything like it?

The stuff under the rockers was hard but I dont know about the stuff in the cooling jet, to small to really tell.

Show us the oil filter paper!!

What filter do you used? With internal pressure relief valve ?:poke:

As I said above only Fleetgaurd or Baldwin filters. I do not know of any filters with a pressure relief valve in them?
As far as the pressure relief valve for the oil system on the oil cooler it is and has been working correctly.

looks like either timing cover to block gasket or the rear oil seal cover gasket, Ive seen a few 12 valves where the gasket seems to pull in. Just my .02

Your oil pressure may have been real high during a startup and went into bypass around the filter. Some dump to sump or some continue to oil the passages un filtered. Does appear to be head gasket material. The rocker bases look real dark and dirty on some of the edges maybe some of that chit was on there from reman job and let loose after time. Than causing the oil pressure to spike and bypass finally going to the main jets when you had your melt down. Any signs of prolonged oil shortage on those rockers excessive wear? Sorry to see that chit. Good luck.

IMO the way those parts look (#4 rocker assembly) it makes me wonder if they were removed, put on a dirty work bench, then reinstalled. Just looks to me like the gasket material is smashed in there on #4. $.02

whoever installed the short block and put the head on it did a piss-poor job of clean-up and dropped gasket material somewhere IMO

Back