merc e300 0m606!!!

joediesel

hey, im looking to pump up the power like these finns are on the 0m606 ...its the 3.0L turbo diesel with the electronic pump. Ive heard that you must at least run a larger charger (HX40), IC, and also guages, intake + exhaust. Now is there anyway i can coax more fuel out of the origonal IP.. or do i need to swap to the 0m603 IP (mechanical)?? Also is removing the egr equipment recommended????

thanks alot!! im getting jelous of the big power mercs. I wouldnt mind +400hp

The 'recipe' I've found on all the Merc forums is basically as follows:

1. Get an OM606 in good mechanical health
  2. Remove any/all emissions related goodies
  3. Remove OEM turbo and install much larger one...HX40 will do it...but she'll be a bit laggy...they're really big on getting the drive pressures as low as possible. I'd like to see a BB Garrett on an OM606...
  4. Install largest intercooler you can get into your vehicle
  5. Install large aux. oil cooler
  6. Install $3000 Myna Diesel injection pump from an OM603

This is basically the same recipe I plan on following someday to start out with ~400rwhp...except for the last part. I'm not convinced that Myna Diesel is the only place that can crank up an M or MW pump.

OM606's in good health and properly maintained will live at 400hp (~40psi) just fine with OEM hard parts. Anything more than that and you're playing with fire on OEM parts. Rumor has it that some of these little I6's have seen just shy of 700hp - but you're talking about many, many upgrades and lots of custom work to get to that point.

You mentioned in the OM617 thread that you've been finding a lot of OM606's on eBay - are these just the engines or the whole car ('98-'99 E300's)?
The NA OM606's have different pistons and conrods compared to a turbo OM606...

Beers,

Matt

thank you for the info. Im having a difficult time registering to the forums. The 0m606 were the entire cars 98-99 e300. I beleive there are several last time i checked ebay. The peice that i see is missing is transmission. Since the transmission is electronically controlled would you have to replace it with a manual transmission. or is there someway you can keep the origonal 5speed auto and just beef it up for the power???

The forums I belong to have very little information in English...but if you hold your mouse over the buttons - the status area of the browser should have English terms for the functions.

Yeah - there are always '98 - '99 E300 turbo diesels on eBay, Autotrader, etc. It's a ~$10-20,000 used car depending on mileage, condition.

The OEM injection pump is electronically controlled and the newer ones use CANBUS to control the injection pump. "Superturbo" cars use a mechanical injection pump...so you're going to loose your cruise control, possibly some HVAC functions, possibly the alternator charging circuit, the automatic tranny won't know how to shift, etc.

Yes - the 5spd automatic is all electronic...but the good news is that this transmission is also behind the Hemi V8's in the Dodge Chargers........so - you can see where I'm going with this......the modifications those guys do to their automatics will also work on one in an E300.

An NA OM606 found in an earlier (non W210 chassis) car would also work, but you'd be better off finding a turbo'd unit to start with since the hard parts are already setup for the punishment.

Some guys have used Mercedes manual trannies behind these, but they claim to have a very hard time keeping clutches in them. They need to get in touch with Peter at South Bend Clutch...or just adapt them to a beefy American tranny. Our friends in Sweden have put TH350's and TH400's behind some interesting engines. Here in the US - TH400's (and 4L80-E's) have been known to be found behind more than a few modified Toyota 2JZ-GTE's. Sound Performance in IL innovated this - here's their Stage I kit: http://www.spracingonline.com/store/SP400_Transmission_Stage_1/21

They basically cut the bellhousing off a core TH400 and bolt up a new specially modified plate to the front pump area that allows you to use a Toyota bellhousing bolted to that. This setup has held up very well in race/street applications - something to think about.

I was thinking of maybe even using a V16x (6-speed) out of a MKIV Toyota Supra...those trannies can put up with a LOT of abuse and you can even buy a $5k (totally rebuildable) racing clutch (carbon/kevlar?) that'll take 1400hp....

Cheers,

Matt

also i too beleive somone in North america can tune one of these pumps just like myna does.... maybe not to the power output that they are getting (700hp) but im sure somone here can make one crank enough fuel out for 400hp. If that is true, would you not just use the original 0m606 pump just have 7mm elements installed and have the pump flowed and balanced etcetc... do the same mechanical Ip tuning as they do on the 0m603 since it is a mechanical IP with electronic governor and throttle controls?

Just about any good diesel injection shop that does stuff for pulling can crank the bejezus out of one of these M or MW pumps to flow more fuel than an OM606 could ever dream of burning. To get 700hp out of an OM606 involves a lot more than just a pump that flows like mad...that's where the fun begins.

Myna Diesel makes some interesting modifications that allow for external adjustment of certain things - I've never been able to get clarification on what you can adjust after they do this, however.

One area that not many people are looking into is the injectors. I was going to get a set and have them sent to Industrial Injection to have them hog 'em out. I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of the "Superturbo" folks are crowding the hell out of their injectors with their high-flow/modified injection pumps and relatively unmodified injectors...

Your idea of just turning up the electronically controlled inline pump has crossed my mind...but I have yet to determine exactly what is electric in there and what isn't. If you install larger elements in the pump - is it going to be able to control the idle and govern the RPM the same way?

Bottom line - there's a lot of stuff you *could* do with an E300/OM606...but a lot of it hasn't been done yet or people aren't talking about it. All the stuff that has been done was with an OM603 mechanical pump...

Beers,

Matt

i agree with you that there is much more than pump work needed for 700hp. I was also thinking about having the injectors hogged out as you said. that might be the most simple way to do it. Depending on how much they flow you could just back that up with a lift pump to ensure constant pressure. I cannot comment if the IP would be able to regulate the larger elements as it did stock, but i think thats worth knowing. As for what the electronic control.... as far as i know it controls at least the govern and throttle control/ position. If your serious about have the injectors sent to II i would love to know how that works out.

Mr. Henry can help you out on parts as well, GREAT guy to deal with.

Really? He and BHD come across as very childish to me, banning several of their key members in an immature fit.

The schuman forums should be avoided. A better resource can be found at superturbodiesel.com/std/

ive tried to register to that forum, but never recive the confermation email. Also it seems to have very little information although they people do seem very informative/ "educated".

Really? He and BHD come across as very childish to me, banning several of their key members in an immature fit.

The schuman forums should be avoided. A better resource can be found at superturbodiesel.com/std/

I have had zero issues with Henry or BHD, until I do so they get the benefit of the doubt.

ive tried to register to that forum, but never recive the confermation email. Also it seems to have very little information although they people do seem very informative/ "educated".

I had the same problems, send Henry Schuman or BoneHeadDoctor a message and they should be able to help you out.

Really Lance....or is it ForcedInduction or 240-D or 3.OVNTI or Zedd.

Really, why don't you tell everyone about how you are claiming the work others did as work you have pioneered but didn't ...Like those by H2Odiesel and MTUPower, I worked with these guys on this stuff 4 years ago, and Brandon who I worked with on this stuff about 3-4 years ago as well, and that By TIMO_S instead of claiming credit for stuff you have never yet done try doing something original and not what others have posted years ago. Why don't you tell everyone about how you have done none of that work to your own car.

You want to talk immaturity, take a look at your own rants on this site and others. It sounds more like a 13 year old than an adult.

You got banned because unlike our other members here and at my site www.schumanautomotive.com/forums you haven't learned what respect and honor is. Its written into the rules....and you weren't above being required to follow them.

Most of the members at this site here are also respectfull and expected to be respectful of others.

Last edited:
Henry Schuman and Boneheaddoctor are absolute gentleman. There is no-one that knows more about old Benzes than Henry and he is ALWAYS willing to help with his knowledge and parts supply at great prices. The people on that site will help anyone in any way they can. Most are very knowledgeable and courteous.
OM617 is just mad because he was banned from that site for acting:rules:..........well, like he does here!:bang

so..., moving right along.... Wich year Merc is the easiest to make a 300hp, 30mpg daily driver out of?

Henry Schuman and Boneheaddoctor are absolute gentleman. There is no-one that knows more about old Benzes than Henry and he is ALWAYS willing to help with his knowledge and parts supply at great prices. The people on that site will help anyone in any way they can. Most are very knowledgeable and courteous.
OM617 is just mad because he was banned from that site for acting:rules:..........well, like he did before getting banned here!:bang

Fixed that quote for ya' :D And :welcome:

so..., moving right along.... Wich year Merc is the easiest to make a 300hp, 30mpg daily driver out of?

High 20's yes, 30's no, not in the earlier models, now a 99 E300 (I think, it's to new for me so I really don't care LOL ) with the electronic engine controls would be the most likely candidate. An 87 or newer S class with the OM606 will do fairly well also.

You find one from a little ol' lady down there Matt and I'll promise to get it there for you, just drop it of and gimme about a year or so :D :D

Back