Metallurgy Gurus

adamsmarshall

Drilling Crooked Holes
So I've got a somewhat off the wall question for those of you with MUCH more knowledge of metals than I have.

To put it simply, I have a friend who works for a small mom and pop machine shop that makes parts for the oilfield. Any excess material is free game for whatever they see fit. Most of the material they use is Ti-6Al-4V (Grade 5) Billet Titanium which they get in up to 10" diameter. So, as you can imagine there are TONS of ideas coming to mind.

From what I'm seeing Ti has a severe galling issue when subject to friction but it had me curious if it would actually adhere with polytech/swaintech/ceramic piston coatings to prevent galling in the cylinders or if it would even stand up to the compression of our motors. There is as you can imagine virtually ZERO feedback about Ti being used for pistons online.

Thanks in advance for any input

Ti piston expand tremendously when heated up.

I tried Ti piston in a turbo 2-stroke sled gave my self doubled the cylinder to wall clearance and she 4 corned seized on me.

This is the only experience I have with Ti in a engine. Have alot of experience machining it. Stuff inst cheap.

Back