Might be buying a sled...

LOGANSTANFORTH

WORKIN' MAN'S DOLLAR
I found a mechanical sled forsale in Hannibal Missouri for sale for 7K. It has a setup for a gooseneck hitch and can be transported by a regular pickup truck. I am waiting for some more info on it but it looks like a decent sled, its older but seems to be in good shape. I am going to try and get some pics of the rearend, gearbox, weight box and drive systems before buying it. Anyone here own or regularly operate a sled and got any tips on what I should look for when buying it.

The sled...Scroll down and you will see the pics of it hooked to the rockcrawlers on the 2nd page.
Gas sled puller build... - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

you should find out how heavy it is and how much you can put on it takes 25-30k to stop some of the trucks or a long chain. does it have a smooth bottom and will it need to be replaced they do wear out. see if they will tell you any of the consumables or what brakes from time to time. some guys dont like to hook to a sled if it is easy to mess with a guy's pull drag lot of trust go to the guy in the sled.

That is the first thing I thought when looking at it...I am going to talk to the guy sometime this week too see if it can stop a diesel truck...

you should find out how heavy it is and how much you can put on it takes 25-30k to stop some of the trucks or a long chain. does it have a smooth bottom and will it need to be replaced they do wear out. see if they will tell you any of the consumables or what brakes from time to time. some guys dont like to hook to a sled if it is easy to mess with a guy's pull drag lot of trust go to the guy in the sled.

Says its 17K, but I'm still waiting on more info...I could go to a longer chain if need be, I have a couple pieces of chain that would work...I know the bottom is a wear item and I will cover all that when I talk to the guy. Anything we get will be better than some of the sleds we got in Florida now...

sometimes on our sled we will put some weight right on top of the pan and go to a longer chain it will stop them but will make it harder to start off the line. good for small club I know that nearpass sled or ironman there big bucks

Heavier the sled, you'll need a bigger pull back tractor. Looks like they were only using a 50-60 horse tractor, but if you make it heavy, you might need close to 75-80 horse and maybe 4wd

sometimes on our sled we will put some weight right on top of the pan and go to a longer chain it will stop them but will make it harder to start off the line. good for small club I know that nearpass sled or ironman there big bucks

The weight on the pan is ok, but the longer chain is a no go. It very hard on the engine because it unloads the big hp trucks. Any more if i see a long chain i will load up and go home.

it wont stop a diesel truck.a guy around here has one similar to it and it wont do it.you will do nothing but piss people off with it

I've pulled a sled like that before. They had a 10ft chain and as much weight as they could. It was on the highest gear to hit us as fast as possible. In 50ft it was on top of you the faster you took off the worst you did. Stopped me in 90 feet and the stock trucks did a full pull. When the weight hit me it about threw the guy through the cab and broke my neck it hit me so fast. Will never hook to anything like that again!

it wont stop a diesel truck.a guy around here has one similar to it and it wont do it.you will do nothing but piss people off with it

That is all that is being used in Florida right now, no one close has a new style drag race sled except Sam Swan and thats over 2500 for him to come down for one event...So we have to deal with what we got, I only plan to run it one or two years before trying to find a self-propelled sled...

I've pulled a sled like that before. They had a 10ft chain and as much weight as they could. It was on the highest gear to hit us as fast as possible. In 50ft it was on top of you the faster you took off the worst you did. Stopped me in 90 feet and the stock trucks did a full pull. When the weight hit me it about threw the guy through the cab and broke my neck it hit me so fast. Will never hook to anything like that again!

Read above, we really can't pick or choose what we can pull with...

your wasting ur time buying that pile ur just gonna piss people off with it how many times a year are u looking 2 rent a sled. hager or a baurer sled is what puts on a show

That would be a real good sled at my place to just test things out:rockwoot:

your wasting ur time buying that pile ur just gonna piss people off with it how many times a year are u looking 2 rent a sled. hager or a baurer sled is what puts on a show

Never been to Florida have you...Read what was posted above. I know who the nice sleds are, this isn't my first rodeo...

I'm not going to bother with it, things have changed and I aint going to waste my time buying a sled...Not worth it being stuck in Florida...

Last edited:
I know that sled very well we used to pull it with our minirod. I showed him the sled when he bought it.he got it from a antuiqe tractor org.in Defience Mo.That sled has been around for at least 35 yrs. plus i started pulling in the early 70s.Take my word for it that sled need a heck of alot of work and mods,to stop a dieseland the parts it is made out of is hard to find parts.it used to have duel wheels on all the way around.The mini's wouldn't pull it anymore alway's had problems of braking shafts.
we had a small sled like that also for a few years and pulled diesel's when they started to get startedwith the show-me smokers.It gets to dangerus with the high HP, truck.that sled don't weigh no 17k. enen with all the weights they add to it.to small of brakes.

Dale

Back