Miss/stumble at idle and with throttle

Lucky Jeff

Stock Sucks
A friend has that does not appear to be treated well in it's previous life. It idle's like it's one cylinder down and blows white smoke. The first time it did it, I noticed it still had an Edge box. I know they have a horrible reliability rate, so I unplugged it, put everything back to stock, fired it up. Ran a little rough. still so I gave it some throttle. Truck cleared up and idled smooth. A couple of months went by and he bought a quadzilla off a friend of his. Truck ran fine for a month then the stumble came back. He took out the quadzilla box, stumble didn't go away. Local diesel shop said #6 was dead. Bought a new injector and replaced just the one. No change. Not sure where to go next. I'm not the best when it comes to CR's..

id try the fca in your cp3 if you have a buddy with a spare its worth a shot? local guy had a truck running like trash and we switched it out and it ran great. i wouldnt personally run a quadzilla box on a lawn mower either. I would check all the sensors also map sensor or could have a junk connector tube. I wouldnt go pulling the motor yet

could of possibly burnt up number 6 completely not just an injector, sounds like with the edge it got hot and when they quit putting so much fuel to it, the cylinder was able to handle it and once he started putting more fuel to it, it just polished off that cylinder. pull the head, I bet that piston is dead.

I'll do some searching to see how you check all of the sensors. I really hope the cylinder isn't toast. The shop wanted to do a compression check. But at 700 bucks, we chose not to. The compressor fins look horrible, and the rest of the engine isn't too pretty either. So it's certainly possible.

I would do a kill test recheck #6 and all other injectors.the problem still could be injector related there is a lot of things that may be wrong with the injectors.yes could be burnt piston but i would be sure before pulling head.its a lot of work.kill test only $35 any more your getting ripped.Takes 15 min.$45 - $50 piece to get the injectors tested.if its a burnt piston you would know it by oil level and blow by.

There has been a bit of blow by from the sound of it. It was ugly under the valve cover. Worse than I'd seen on any other truck. I will try the injector kill one more time.

Luckily the long block has a warranty through the dealer. They're known to sell polished, lifted garbage. So we'll have to see just how much they fight it.

Back