Moog Tie Rod and Idler Arm

derekmod99

I recently replaced my worn out Idler arm and pitman arm on my truck with the moog brand parts. Now it is hard to turn the steering wheel. If i am going down the road I can trun the wheel and it will stay in the last spot I left it....:doh: This makes it really fun going down the highway... I went and got the truck aligned hoping this woul solve the problem, but no luck. Anyone have any ideas? Do these parts need to wear in?
Thanks
Derek

It sounds to me like you have a power steering problem. The idler arm and pitman arm wouldn't be able to cause the problem you're describing (in my opinion)

sucks when you put a part on and it reveals the real issue ! I have to agree with Scott on this one !

Ahhhh Crap!:bang
Are there any ways to actually test the box?

Last edited:
derekmod99 said:
Ahhhh Crap!:bang
Are there any ways to actually test the box?

Let's isolate your problem first:
Are your brakes working properly or not? GM uses the power steering pump for additional pressure for the brakes. (Known as the hydroboost system)
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the brakes are fine since you didn't mention them.
As far as testing the gear box goes, there's no way that I know of. If it is binding, you might be able to get it adjusted, but putting a new one on is probably going to be your fix.

Last edited:
Brakes are totally fine, Still steers easy, just a little hard right off of center,it just happens when you turn the wheel a little bit; like going around a corner.. If I turn really sharp, the wheel will return a little bit, but mainly back to that slight turned state. Something I just thought about was when we were replacing those arms was we had to turn the wheel. The truck wasnt running, but we had the key on and truned the wheels manually. When we did this a bit of PS oil came out of the box by the steering shaft.... There are so seeps or leaks as of now while driving it around.. There is some more info if it helps... Any idea on the price of a box?
Thanks again,
Derek

A steering box (aftermarket) runs about 300 bucks with exchange..A GM one might be scary-priced..:ugh:

Back