More 6.0 issues

Flopster843

Aircraft Maintenance Tech
Day 1, I was pulling a trailer from Charleston SC to Louisville KY on May 19. Total weight of 19,720 lbs. Towing stock. Truck started to smoke when pulling hills, pure black, no white. Truck got worse and worse, losing power and more smoke. Truck started to puke coolant (has never puked before) and started to miss on 1 cylinder, EGTs were hitting 1200 at every hill at which time I let out of it to keep it down, also started severe turbo surge anytime it was below 18 lbs and about 2300 rpm. Limped it the rest of the way to my destination (about another 100 miles). When I got out of the truck it had a dead miss in the engine, mild black smoke at idle, and I could here a "poof-poof-poof" noise out of the intake in perfect harmony with the engine miss.

Day 2, Started truck to pull trailer out of barn to unload it. Noise from turbo was significantly less but truck was still missing with no power, had to put it in 4-low to pull trailer out of it's tracks on the dirt. Still smoking black. Unloaded trailer and un-hooked it. Truck had hard time pulling itself with no trailer. Every hill truck would shake and shudder in stock mode and smoke would pour out the back, similar to the Insanity file with full-fuel. Driving down the interstate at steady speed, truck smoked a little. Took it to the dealer for testing.

Day 3, Dealer called and said that the Contribution Test flagged #8 cylinder. Relative Compression Test flagged #8 cylinder was 8% low. Advised that truck should be torn down to inspect cylinder and head assembly. I picked up truck to tear it down myself (out of warranty with 120k) and noticed that on the way home there was no problem. Truck did not smoke, truck did not miss, and there was no turbo surge. I was unable to re-create the problem. Oil is not over-full, there has never been any white smoke, and there are no codes. Short block has about 30k on it.

I checked turbo for shaft play and/or any other problems and found nothing. I checked the wiring the best I could and found no defects. I even checked for a lifted injector by pulling the fuel pump fuze and the FICM fuse and cranking the engine while looking for air bubbles in the fuel filter housing, nothing found.

Drove truck back home with no trailer and has zero issues. Plenty of power, no smoke, and no miss. The noise I heard coming from the air intake is compeltely gone but is still making me wonder. It was almost like there was an intake valve that wasn't sealing completely. Anybody ideas?

I'm sure you've considered this, but just in case, the truck in your sig is not rated to haul 19k lbs. Especially with a lift and bigger tires.

Let us know if you find anything beyond the obvious.

I believe he stated his trailer was not 19k, but the truck & trailer was. Making the load an estimated 12.5k, which is a big load no matter what way you slice it.

Only thing I could offer is pull the #8 injector and see what it looks like. Might be a bad one, sticking whatever. Do an oil sample pronto. See how much fuel or metal is in the oil, might give some insight as to what's going on too.

You checked for air bubbles after the truck was running right, did you try that when it wasn't? It may have reseated itself, or worked out whatever burr or dirt was making it stick, or do whatever.

When it was smoking, was it continuous smoke or could you see individual puffs of smoke with some clear between them? (with a turbo it's a lot harder to tell this) This will tell you if it's a single cylinder or all of them making it smoke hard. I imagine it also vibrated like a mother too?

Could also be a bad valve, but never heard of one fixing itself. Again, do an oil sample NOW and see what's in there!

Back