More clutch issues or something else?

cummins724

BREAKING $HIT
I got my new 3850 Iron Giant installed & put a new input shaft bearing in my 241 DLD transfer case. I put 200 miles on it & hooked to my skid steer today for the first time since installed. I was very happy with the way it shifts, although it is a little grabby. I was going down a steep grade & hit the exhaust brake, after a minute, the transfer case kicks out of gear & jumps back in. I downshiftedto stop at a gas station & heard a loud screaching sound as I released the clutch? It went away as soon as the clutch was fully released, but does the screaching sound when pulling out from a stop or downshifting. Any ideas?

I couldn't tell you what it is but mine did that for 1k miles and 4 or 5 hooks. Hasn't done it for a couple weeks now.

I couldn't tell you what it is but mine did that for 1k miles and 4 or 5 hooks. Hasn't done it for a couple weeks now.

Nah, this sound I'm hearing isn't something that will go away. It is a howling/screeching sound...kinda sounds like a bad pilot bearing or something. The transfer case is popping out of gear. I'm thinking that the input bearing on the T-case failed.

my buddies sintered iron triple disc makes a funny screechin sound when u try slippin or just driven it

Hey Jamie remember in one of my other posts I said to make sure you got the right bearing? It sounds like you got the wrong one and it is allowing the input shaft to have to much play.

I had the same problem except I had the wrong input shaft. My input shaft was for a wide bearing and I had the narrow. I got a new narrow bearing input shaft and it fixed the problem.

That screaching sound you hear I am willing to bet is the planetary hitting the front of the case. At least that is where mine was hitting which caused a ton of shavings in the ATF.

Hey Jamie remember in one of my other posts I said to make sure you got the right bearing? It sounds like you got the wrong one and it is allowing the input shaft to have to much play.

I had the same problem except I had the wrong input shaft. My input shaft was for a wide bearing and I had the narrow. I got a new narrow bearing input shaft and it fixed the problem.

That screaching sound you hear I am willing to bet is the planetary hitting the front of the case. At least that is where mine was hitting which caused a ton of shavings in the ATF.

Nah, the new bearing was identical & both bearings had the same numbers stamped on them. I think it was 6110 or something? I just drained the atf to see if metal was present. It looked like new fluid coming out, but I still put new fluid in it. I think that my synchro might be bent a little or something. I'm gonna see what goes on with this clutch before pulling anything apart, but I don't think it is anything serious. From what everyone is saying, the screaching sound is just a Iron Giant sound & nothing is wrong.

Problem found....I think. I was on my way to town tonight & I shifted 5th gear & had nothing. My 5th gear nut must have worked its way loose. I'm dropping the truck off at the tranny shop in the morning & he is gonna fix the T-case while he is in there.

I've said it once, I've said it 47 times, I love my full built auto. :D

I've said it....well....more than once or twice now. Your truck doesn't make power, anything will work for you. You can run a chain drive bicycle style.:hehe:

Problem found....I think. I was on my way to town tonight & I shifted 5th gear & had nothing. My 5th gear nut must have worked its way loose. I'm dropping the truck off at the tranny shop in the morning & he is gonna fix the T-case while he is in there.

Are you getting the upgraded fully splined shaft or just replacing the nut? Im doing the same thing saturday and Im cheaping out and just putting the revised nut...

Back