More pillow talk from Robinsons sleeper .

John Robinson

Sunday, 9:30 pm, bedding down in okie city for a few hours before rolling on into work in the morning, left the track at noon today .
Well guys we had a rough weekend , motor trans & clutch are fine but luck just wasn't on our side ...after rolling in on Thursday & getting pits set up we were ready to roll Friday ... Friday morn q1 of top dragster we decided to throw some more clutch to her & see if she would make it down the track . no luck , the threads on the clutch pedal linkage decided to give up on life as soon as I hit the throttle , cut a .041 light but pass was ruined.
q2 on Friday was supposed to happen between the first & second rounds of nitro but too many oil downs in round one of nitro bumped top dragster to Saturday morning .
Saturday morning .. fixed the darn pedal & pulled the clutch back to the old settings .. the bump was a 6.80 at that time so we figured we should settle down & try to make the show ... didn't happen .. tires shook & went sideways at the 100' mark, pedeled her down to the 1/8th & wham ! tires shook, pedeled her again & then the windshield goes dark .. fuel line came loose & had to lift at 5.9 into run.. wild ride, crowd loved it but we were disgusted . 7.12 at 178..
Saturday , 3 pm. now is our last chance . this session we ran right behind the fuel cars so we knew the track was perfect but bump was a 6.71 so we had to ramp her back up . It was wonderful to pull into the staging lanes while force , Hagen & the likes were strapping in ..people looked at us like we were driving a spaceship or something .... a cummins in the staging lanes with all these big boys lurking around, never thought I would see the day . So the fuel cars ran & top dragster took to the lanes, we were second pare , stands were full .
I rolled the old heap into the water box & began burn out .. she jumped up on the tire way differently than she has been doing , I guess the clutch did it , it felt right but was having to pedel a bunch on burnout to keep from over revving , then she got way sideways & I chopped the throttle & killed the beyotch !! I know better but it just happens sometimes if you don't get on the clutch just right . I was pissed & disgusted !!the guys rolled me back but we track boss wouldn't let us refire ... I'm so let down & sad that a rare opprutunity like this got by me. especially on my screw up .. it was a long hard weekend that ended with a major heartbreak. it will be a long time before I get another shot like that .
see y'all next week at world finals

Last edited:
At least the crowd liked the run even if you didn't, has to count for something! Videos?

Hopefully TX is better for you guys.

Just wasn't the day man. That sucks but is part of racing, our year with the boats has been full of stupid s*** like that. I had no idea y'all were running with the nhra? How'd y'all get in or what made it a rare occasion?

yea we got some.. too big of a pain in the ass to post here though , maybe Preston will post some

got In by doing divisionals & getting all tech stuff correct .. it's a major pain & pretty pricey the get one nhra happy .
it's a rare occasion that we get to run right behind the fuel cars . track will be as good as it can be.

Last edited:
I gotcha, I've wondered why some of you faster guys hadn't tried it or been in the shows. Assumed it was the fuel used but dont know the rules. Best of luck this coming weekend in Ennis.

No chance of randomly showing up to Maple Grove for the Nationals ever, is there? Track is awfully fast during Friday night quals :)

Sent from my flashscan v2

John, I look forward to seeing you run in person some day, great job this year sir! Your professionalism and general all around positive attitude is truly commendable.

:clap:

John, you have done so much for the sport. Your professionalism is better than a lot of others, even here on this board. I still thinks it's a giant win to have a DIESEL TOP DRAGSTER at an NHRA event that has shown it can compete. You, sir, are a class act. I don't view this as a bad thing cause it shows a humble side of you. Not a failure, just a set back.

Thank you sir for all that you do.

Get her all buttoned up and ready to roll Friday, Mr. Robinson. The wife is coming with us just to see you run! No pressure. LOL

Probably because he was tired when he posted. But he forgot to mention he got to see and speak with me. Kind of a big deal.

Sunday, 9:30 pm, bedding down in okie city for a few hours before rolling on into work in the morning, left the track at noon today .
Well guys we had a rough weekend , motor trans & clutch are fine but luck just wasn't on our side ...after rolling in on Thursday & getting pits set up we were ready to roll Friday ... Friday morn q1 of top dragster we decided to throw some more clutch to her & see if she would make it down the track . no luck , the threads on the clutch pedal linkage decided to give up on life as soon as I hit the throttle , cut a .041 light but pass was ruined.
q2 on Friday was supposed to happen between the first & second rounds of nitro but too many oil downs in round one of nitro bumped top dragster to Saturday morning .
Saturday morning .. fixed the darn pedal & pulled the clutch back to the old settings .. the bump was a 6.80 at that time so we figured we should settle down & try to make the show ... didn't happen .. tires shook & went sideways at the 100' mark, pedeled her down to the 1/8th & wham ! tires shook, pedeled her again & then the windshield goes dark .. fuel line came loose & had to lift at 5.9 into run.. wild ride, crowd loved it but we were disgusted . 7.12 at 178..
Saturday , 3 pm. now is our last chance . this session we ran right behind the fuel cars so we knew the track was perfect but bump was a 6.71 so we had to ramp her back up . It was wonderful to pull into the staging lanes while force , Hagen & the likes were strapping in ..people looked at us like we were driving a spaceship or something .... a cummins in the staging lanes with all these big boys lurking around, never thought I would see the day . So the fuel cars ran & top dragster took to the lanes, we were second pare , stands were full .
I rolled the old heap into the water box & began burn out .. she jumped up on the tire way differently than she has been doing , I guess the clutch did it , it felt right but was having to pedel a bunch on burnout to keep from over revving , then she got way sideways & I chopped the throttle & killed the beyotch !! I know better but it just happens sometimes if you don't get on the clutch just right . I was pissed & disgusted !!the guys rolled me back but we track boss wouldn't let us refire ... I'm so let down & sad that a rare opprutunity like this got by me. especially on my screw up .. it was a long hard weekend that ended with a major heartbreak. it will be a long time before I get another shot like that .
see y'all next week at world finals

John, you're a great guy as usual. Thanks for sharing your experience with those of us that couldn't be there to cheer you on!!!

BTW, That weekend sounds a whole lot better than sitting on jackstands all day... I'm just saying!!!

Probably because he was tired when he posted. But he forgot to mention he got to see and speak with me. Kind of a big deal.

Well you are correct, we are all excited when we see you, but its because that means your wife could be somewhere near by.

Back