more rpm

mantahead

RED DIESEL
hi from Ireland,
im tuning a 5 cyclinder om605 mercedes which i fitted 7.5mm elements to the electronic governor pump. It made 368hp and i couldn,t make it rev over 5500rpm.
I have now changed the elements over to a mechanical pump and still have a rpm struggle, what is the best way to get more rpm; lighten the flyweights or fit stronger springs.
Thanks any help will be appreicated.

welcome, from a 4 gen removed irishmen.you might get lucky, but most here are light truck guys.
and it is really in the wrong section. i would guess shim up the springs you have and see if it will fuel harder up high. more than a few people run solid spacer instead of any springs. just a thought to ponder.

thanks man, do you know anyone who has lightened their flyweights? This is a bosch m pump. inline 5.

Lighten the weights and you'll need to lighten the idle springs...

ok man, so will the other springs be ok? maybe a stupid question but what sort of weight would i need to remove for 1000rpm?

hi,
i removed the pump again and removed the flyweight spring and brought it to a spring company, it tested at 49nm and they don't have any springs that size available, it has to be specially made at £50 a spring. They said the next strongest spring they could make would be 55nm. Anyone any idea if this is too much of a jump in strenght for 1000rpm or do i need a stronger spring???

thanks
wayne

you may want to convert that to foot lbs,, not too many people over here know a newton meter from a hole in the ground.... I believe that 55 nm is approx 41 foot lbs

you may want to convert that to foot lbs,, not too many people over here know a newton meter from a hole in the ground.... I believe that 55 nm is approx 41 foot lbs
sorry never thought, the standard flyweight spring was 36.1ft lb and i was going to try 40.5 ft lb and then 44.2 ft lb. I have no idea how much rpm this will give me.

hi,
just a little feedback i fitted the stronger of the 2 springs i got made and adjusted the tension in almost full and it is now reving to 6100 rpm in neutral with no load. I never lightened the flyweights yet. I will try this rpm for now as i have 1/4 mile racing next sunday and don't have much time. Hopefully i will see 400hp. It will be on the dyno next week.

hi, i fitted electric inline pump a short time ago and removed standard lift pump. I only just fitted a pressure clock between the filter and pump and it was reading 60 psi. This seems very high to me. What is the max pressure any of you guys would run here?

hi,
after a lot of effort, lightening governor weights and fitting stronger flyweight springs i got my rpm but didn't get my hp.
I sent my pump to Dieselmeken in sweden, he has told me the elements i was supplied with are a restriction, so he has modified them and set the pump up. It is on route at the minute so i will have her back on the dyno this week if anyone interested in the results.

Will, why don't you remove this from this thread? Just wondering why you let him keep posting in here. Gary

Back