Motor Build time 5.9 or 6.7

I just picked up a 6.7 head for my 5.9, hope I'm not doing it wrong too? LOL

I still cant believe people use 14mm fasteners in the cummins block.

Believe it.

How many of the failures you have seen have been 6.7 blocks?

I know you've got quite a bit of experience with making good power on the 6.7 block. Do you still have the ability to monitor engine load electronically?

What I'm getting at is I wonder if the reason why 6.7 blocks have held up for you in a drag truck might be because the engine isn't loaded as hard as what it would be in a sled puller.

The reason I was using a 6.7 head is cause I already have it with the side draft all setup. I have a 06 cr head I can use but I already have the 6.7 Injectors all done too. As far as I know the 6.7 head doesn't give anything up to the 06. 5.9 head performance wise. I wouldn't think its an issue.

Ive heard numerous people saying the 6.7 blocks are splitting at 1300hp without filling them, my luck it would be 1000hp. That's why Im sticking with the 5.9, little less torque and a bit more rpm should keep me alive. Im not going for the Baddest truck on the track, I just want a reliable setup that makes decent power. I don't have the big Farmer bucks to play with the big boys!

Believe it.

How many of the failures you have seen have been 6.7 blocks?

I know you've got quite a bit of experience with making good power on the 6.7 block. Do you still have the ability to monitor engine load electronically?

What I'm getting at is I wonder if the reason why 6.7 blocks have held up for you in a drag truck might be because the engine isn't loaded as hard as what it would be in a sled puller.

I've only seen three 6.7 blocks split. Only one of my own. Ive seen numerous 5.9s, mostly 2nd gen blocks. I would say the main reasons you see it in pullers, especially machanical engines, is timing. And load for sure. Pullers bog the engine much worse than racers. Ive also wandered if sometimes it isnt from hydraulics. As much raw fuel and water as some of them put in the cylinder.

But I still cant make sense of drilling bigger holes in the block when its the weak link anyway. Id really love for someone to explain this one.

The reason I was using a 6.7 head is cause I already have it with the side draft all setup. I have a 06 cr head I can use but I already have the 6.7 Injectors all done too. As far as I know the 6.7 head doesn't give anything up to the 06. 5.9 head performance wise. I wouldn't think its an issue.

Ive heard numerous people saying the 6.7 blocks are splitting at 1300hp without filling them, my luck it would be 1000hp. That's why Im sticking with the 5.9, little less torque and a bit more rpm should keep me alive. Im not going for the Baddest truck on the track, I just want a reliable setup that makes decent power. I don't have the big Farmer bucks to play with the big boys!

Ive got lots of customers over 1000hp on completely stock bottom ends with just billet rod upgrade.

Just not sure on the cam I want to run, I have a Hamilton 194/220 now. Will be using a T4 66/80 over a T6 88/110 with my already Hellmann side draft 6.7 head. Just need to have the head ported this winter. Im thinking I should have a good solid 1000-1200hp setup that will hopefully live!!

If your looking for help on a cam give me a shout. Our tool steel billets are competitively priced, and custom ground to match your engine application. We use many years or experience, dyno testing, and engine simulation to develop a profile that optimizes your engine. We also will have steel billets available by the end of Jan. to beginning of Feb. PM me for pricing.

But I still cant make sense of drilling bigger holes in the block when its the weak link anyway. Id really love for someone to explain this one.

what about the factory 14mm blocks like the 12v blocks? is that the same sort of issue? would this be why Cummins went from 14mm bolts to 12mm main bolts?

I really dont know why the went from 14mm to 12mm, but I have seen a LOT of the 14mm 12v blocks split.

Whats everyones thoughts on using a 5.9 block that needs .020 over vs a standard bore. I was set on a standard bore block, but both the blocks i sent to machine shop need .020 over. :(

Been waiting for 4 months for monster mike, supposed to have it anyday. My block has been done for three months, just waiting on his darn rods. Just put a short block of his together this week for a customer. Used Carrillo rods in that one. I will post some pics pretty soon.

Waited a year on mikes rods he was putting in my motor then after I paid for them he sold them . Deal with him long enough he will screw you .

^^ ya, i crossing my fingers man, i do a lot of other bus through him and its been good lately, just hoping he pulls through on these rods soon. But with the warmer weather approaching my patience is growing thin!!

Called and checked on my crap today, been almost 5 months. Got hung up on.. Real classy

Ya, it sucks. Was not hoping for this. Problem is now i doubt he will even give me my block/crank and all that thats already done. I would like to order some Carrilos and have this thing running in a week or two. Im so screwed. Was planning on having it ready to rip the the 19th of april for test and tune. Least my cage is about done/

6B17D58B-7BAD-4BF6-85D8-15DBFC4C73D2-7366-000002E3B17C9560_zps1d7ca356.jpg

A39A4059-8E49-4CE1-A562-96455999D540-7366-000002E3B68FE63C_zps65ecf762.jpg

0FD2C769-74E8-40D2-B0C0-AB456B3FB00E-7366-000002E3BB5A9BCC_zps959c7140.jpg

Cage looks good.sucks about mike . Let him cool off and ask him to send your stuff , you have to act like everything is OK if your upset or pissy with him he'll definatly not help you. Where are you located ? I had to show up and tell him I wasn't leaving without my stuff after my last run in.

Back