Motor won't turn...

cumminstroked

So I started to tear into my truck today. I had a problem with weak batteries so I replaced them. Went to start and the motor wouldn't even turn all the way over. So I tested my starter. The solenoid wasn't exactly moving current like it should so I ordered a new one. While waiting for my starter I decided to tear into it and put my new pushrods in. My HD push rods were starting to bounce off the head a little bit in the higher RPMs so I got something a little better. I went to turn my motor over by hand and nothing. It won't turn forward or back. Not even a little bit. I backed off all the rockers and removed them. All 12 valves are closed completely so I know its not a valvetrain issue plus I have .125" fly cuts. I'm tearing into the gearcase to see if I find anything and if nothing there I'm going to pull the tranny and see if I got something bound up in the flywheel and bellhousing. Anybody have any ideas on what could be causing this headache???

Thanks for any input

Starter hung up, broken rings, kdp lodged in gears, locked up injection pump, locked up oil pump is ideas off the top of my head.

Were you turning the motor over with a barring tool?
It is a socket I made to go over the 4 damper bolts and put my 3 foot breaker bar on. It works good when it works lol
Starter hung up, broken rings, kdp lodged in gears, locked up injection pump, locked up oil pump is ideas off the top of my head.
Starter is removed, I'm hoping its a simple kdp ordeal or oil pump. My injection pump still turns. I pulled the gear and put the nut back on to check it. I gotta tear the whole front end of the truck apart so I can get a good look at it when I take the front cover off.
Dumb question, but it's not in gear is it? LOL

At first, yes. Now, no. I was hoping that was the problem and then I could just call myself a dumbass lol

Hydrolock?

Doubtful... I pulled all my injectors out to see if they would release any cylinder pressure and got no results. Pulled the oil supply line for my charger too thinking that it may be in the oil system and nothing there.

How long has it been sitting? Or has it even been sitting?

It had been sitting for about 2 days.

All the gears and everything looks good under the front cover. The oil pump turns well. I was going to pull the gear on my pump to see if that was holding it up but for some reason my gear puller went MIA.

I would think if it were kdp or something in the gears it would turn in the opposite direction at least a bit.

Is the trans in gear? Did you pull the trans?

Last edited:
I have an update... Got all the injectors and push rods pulled today. Everything looked fine. Still won't budge though either way. My next step is to pull the trans which will probably happen on Friday morning. I'm still stumped, it never got hot. As long as the truck is running my water pump is running and my fans are on "standby" I guess you could call it. My temp gauge has never been over 185 since this motor has been together. When it died it just died and never made any noise or ran bad, It just died and the starter wouldn't turn it at all. Once i get the trans pulled I'm going to make sure my clutch, clutch fork, input shaft and flywheel isn't binding up and looks to be good.

I am very interested in the outcome of this, as I am having a similar issue right now with my 03. It just shut down while idleling with no odd noises. Starter won't turn motor but I can turn it with a pry bar and it has resistance. Oil appears ok, but I am still waiting on results from Blackstone. Disconnected converter and pulled starter. Still no good. Thinking of pulling CP3 next then injectors and head.

Did you just build it? If it was running and just up and quit I'd say spun rod bearing
Slowed it down and killed it.

My 2 cents are on a hard part failure! Drop the pan and have a look! easier than dropping the tranny unless you already know your pulling the motor!

Did you just build it? If it was running and just up and quit I'd say spun rod bearing
Slowed it down and killed it.

My 2 cents are on a hard part failure! Drop the pan and have a look! easier than dropping the tranny unless you already know your pulling the motor!

The motor will be coming out no matter what. I just wasn't planning on working on it lol. The motor was built this last winter. It has maybe a total of 12 hours of run time on it. If it is in the motor then I would guess its a hard part. I will pull the pan before the head and see if its something to access from the pan. That would save the cost of a new head gasket and firerings anyways. I would think that a spun rod bearing would have been noticeable right before but I could be wrong. I do know that it is tight as hell now.

It could be a bearing, but they usually make some noise when they spin. What trans setup is in the truck, maybe burnt up the thrust bearing???

You could of done the same thing I did. Stuck a cam in my block. Reason why I still don't know had proper lube on it but got something on it and that was the end of it. It's where the cam rides on the 3rd support in not on a lobe.

It could be a bearing, but they usually make some noise when they spin. What trans setup is in the truck, maybe burnt up the thrust bearing???
Its a '99 model ZF6. 4x4. In neutral the truck rolls really easily still and I never heard any noise from the trans before hand but my clutch is pretty noisy and the motor seems to add to the noise level too. If it is the thrust bearing in the trans how would I check that? I'm not too familiar with transmissions but that is something that I would like to learn in the very near future
You could of done the same thing I did. Stuck a cam in my block. Reason why I still don't know had proper lube on it but got something on it and that was the end of it. It's where the cam rides on the 3rd support in not on a lobe.

Something on it as some dirt or a shaving? The motor was real clean before I started to put it back together. It did get a new cam and new tappets. Everything was installed and coated up really really good with the red gooey install lube from comp cams. I run a really good oil too and last time I changed it I filtered out the oil and found nothing. The oil filter was clean too. Anything could have happened though. Since the last time I changed oil the truck has ran maybe 4 hours.

Back