Mtec Ram HID headlight install w/pics

edgerat

As most owners know the factory headlights on non-sport 2nd gen trucks leave quite a bit to be desired as far as the lighting is concerned, safety is a concern as well since the stock bulbs barely illuminate enough of the road to see anything in front of you. I originally ordered the Vision HID kit but I returned it after finding the Mtec bulbs on ebay, here is an auction link so you can get the correct bulbs. For a non-sport you need 9004 bulbs and I chose the 6000K temperature rating because it is the most "white" of the bulbs that they offer and I don't like the ricer look purple or blue tint. What you get in the box is two ballasts/starters that are in two small playing-card size metal boxes, two bulbs and the wiring harness needed to get power from your existing wiring harness to the HID's. My BFF Jon (aka Jrock4224) did most of the install as my busted wing is still not up to full power or range of motion. He removed both batteries and their trays then mounted the ballasts/starters under the tray on the fender, this is done by drilling some holes and then he used self-tappers to affix the ballasts to the fender. The battery trays needed a slight amount of modifying in order to get them back in place but you just have to cut a little wing off of each to get the clearance. He then put the bulbs in and connected all the wires up and VOILA!!! instant daylight! One note: if you buy this kit the blue plug that comes with the wiring harness needs to have the black wire on the far left if you are looking at the plug and the red wire goes in the middle, otherwise you will get no lights on low-beam and HID's on hi-beam. This is a low-beam only HID kit but the amount of light they put out is more than enough for back country roads. The most alarming gain I noticed is the road signs are GREATLY illuminated now whereas before you wouldn't notice any real reflection off of them, it really helps in seeing those signs on a dark road now. The temperature of the lens after my 20 minute ride home was barely warm, so slight that you had to hold your hand on the lens for a second to feel the warmth and even then some of that may have just been from the light itself. For 250 dollars plus shipping I have to say if you don't feel the need for hi-beams this is the best option for lighting on a 2nd gen ram. Also I passed several cars on my way home and not single one flashed their hi-beams at me so I believe that these are one aimed conservatively away from oncoming traffic but also not so bright as to be misconstrued as hi-beams.

Pic taken standing beside the truck on driver's side:
P1000415.jpg

Pic taken from approximately 50ft away and 20ft to the side:
P1000416.jpg

Pic take from head-on with the camera in the light hotspot:
P1000417.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUTH...emQQcategoryZ36476QQihZ015QQitemZ250175860891

Thanks for the review. I've been thinking of doing this to my truck and wiring my aftermarket driving lights to work via the high beam switch.

George

Back