muff on a 7.3?

02psd7.3

i put a 4 in flowmaster muffler on my truck last night to keep it quiet because i leave the house for work at 3 or so in the morning :kick:

would the back presure make the truck run better it seems to be quicker(more low end) and i run like 25 to 27 psi where i normally run like 22 to 24 or is it just the cold air

thanks
tim

im guessing its the cold air, the chambered mufflers usually arnt that great on diesels they restrict flow quite a bit, the straight through louvered type is usually prefered

i wanted quiet and it was free and just so happened to be about 1/2in longer than the piece of pipe that was in there

i going to have to see how it runs tomorrow on the way home from work when not in the 3am cold air

the truck seems like it has a little more torque to it but my 37s are bald and it was raining all day so it might just be my foot LOL LOL

I noticed on my truck that when I was running a 4" mufflered system that I definately had more low end vs. now with the 5" straight pipe.

DCSpecial said:
I noticed on my truck that when I was running a 4" mufflered system that I definately had more low end vs. now with the 5" straight pipe.

Is the difference the muffler or pipe diameter? I have read 5" pipe will take some bottom end power.

nummit said:
Is the difference the muffler or pipe diameter? I have read 5" pipe will take some bottom end power.

Not sure. Here's the differences:

.....................Old system..................New System
downpipe............3.5"............................4.0"
rest of the pipe....4.0"............................5.0"
Muffler...............Yes.............................NO

Definately a noticeable loss of low end power.

After I had it ceramic coated, it almost seemed not as bad as it was before it was coated (keeping the heat in the pipe making it easier to get pushed out??).

it sounds really deep kinda like a 6.0 straight piped but not very loud

o and i think my truck os just goofy today i was going about 85 on my speedo to work this morning steady foot on the go go and the boost guage was going 22 to 28 to 22 to 28 i have no idea any one know

truck definatly has more torque but lost some top end not as easy to get to 100mph LOL

if i knew how to do a sound clip i would

Back