My brother converted over to a diesel

scott2001

Its never fast enough
My little brother has come over to the side of owning a diesel.
Its a 99 chevy 1ton with a 6.5 and a 5 speed its only got 40,000 miles on her. Its a regular cab with no bed his going to put the steel bed off his old chevy gas burner work truck. He hauls junk for a living like trannys and what ever else he can make money on.
So got a few questions now the trucks only purpose is to haul say 10 to 15 thousand lb yes i sure he over loading it. What programmer can he use for mileage, was going to put a k-n in the factory air box, and gut the exhuast for now.
For that model when should he change the oil, Im guessing every 5,000 miles like the duramax. Thanks

Also does this year model have an egr or what emmissions are own their that needs to be took off.

no egr ! but 6.5 is not really designed to pull heavy loads! shoulda got a cummins!!!

Check out Kennedy diesel. He can probably help you with any upgrades to the 6.5.

its really what he could afford, everybody got to start some where. I can promise you compared to what he was using, that was the smartest thing he done.

Kennedy diesel or Heath diesel can set him up. I think it has an E-Prom chip. No tuner would be available just a chip I believe.

On a 99 you will have to send the PCM out for a reflash as there are no tuners right now that just flash in with the OBD2 port. I would reccomend a good turbo back exhaust as the factory downpipe is VERY restrictive. Clean the radiator and condenser out and make sure air can flow through easily as overheating is a common issue with the 6.5. A 99 will already have the high flow water pump, but mid way through 99 they went to a better water pump with a spin on fan clutch and that pump has a much better flow between banks which improves cooling GREATLY. A DURAMAX fan blade from an LB7 or LLY is also a good investment, and a HAYDEN severe duty fan clutch is a good idea as well. Don't sell the old 6.5 short though, if driven carefully and set up properly it can tow some HEAVY loads AND live a long happy life. Head on over to TTS.us as there are ALOT of guys over there that will give you straight answers and needed upgrades, as well as ALOT of good tech info from the guys that just about wrote the book on 6.5 upgrades.

6.2 and 6.5 Diesel Engines

i got to look it over good today, it supposely came factory with 19.5 wheels and tires, the tires are brand new. 10 lug out back 5 in the front, when i first looked at it i thought it was messing some studs up front. It looks great for the year, no dents or scraches i can find.
He had his bed swapped over friday. Dont know what gear ratio it is.
thanks for the help on it

i got to look it over good today, it supposely came factory with 19.5 wheels and tires, the tires are brand new. 10 lug out back 5 in the front, when i first looked at it i thought it was messing some studs up front. It looks great for the year, no dents or scraches i can find.
He had his bed swapped over friday. Dont know what gear ratio it is.
thanks for the help on it

Sounds like he got a 3500HD which is a pretty heavy duty truck. Chances are though it has 4.56-5.13 gears out back in the 3500HD chassis.

Back