My diff runneth over =(

Ph4tty

I'm nobody
I changed the fluid in my rear last fall with Redline synthetic and used rtv to seal it up. I filled it to the hole kept an eye on it for quite a while to make sure it wasn't leaking. Now today I notice some oil on the diff so I pulled the plug so I could top it off for now. Well, oil comes pouring out. Oil seems to have leaked out of the fill hole and the lower portion of the cover, but its full over the top so it can't be leaking too much. Only thing I can think of is the record heat we're experiencing made the oil expand which is why it busting at the seems. Any thoughts?

When I read your thread I was thinking, "What in the world was he doing fourwheeling with a 2wd dually?" LOL

Sorry bud. LOL

It may be the heat but I don't know. I haven't had any problems with mine since I installed it 2 years ago and we've been hot as hades down here.

When I changed my over to synthetic it did the same thing. Leaked by the RTV, I just tightened the bolts down a bit more. Didn't have any leak from the plug though.

Maybe you filled it up with the front of the truck down hill a bit and checked it with the front up this time. Oil would be higher than the plug in this case, even with the same amount of less.

I thought about that Tate, but its in the same spot in the driveway. I'll give the bolts a retorque in the morning. I just thought it was odd for it to hold for months on end then suddenly start leaking :what:

Back