My Turbo went

Blk350on20s

Line em up!!
Well guys. Not the worst but damn near happened to me on Friday on my way up north. My VGT-ss went on me. haven't pulled it off the truck yet to see exactly what when wrong but lets just say I shut down a 2 lane high way for about a mile. I'm almost to my cottage and I hear this high pitched buzzing noise. I immediately let out of it to listen and it stopped. Got back in it and didn't hear anything. So I'm cruising along and it does it again. Only this time when I got back in it, the noise continued. 5 seconds later, I had no boost and I was pouring black and white smoke out. Couldn't see a thing behind me. I limped it for about a mile to my cottage where it sits in my pole barn until Thursday. Tadd had PMed me over the weekend about the surge video I put up and said to send him the turbo and he would take care of it for free, So I'm quite confident he will warranty his product. I have a call in to him and am just waiting on a call back. Ryan

id be pissed off for sure. im curious to see what happened to it.

Ya, it sucked. I would assume I broke the shaft in there due to oil being poured into the exhaust.

haha. ****ty thing is I havent even beat on the truck. I have never sprayed it with this turbo, Never 4x4 launched it, and have only pulled a trailer once with it and that was a little snowmobile trailer.

Damn dude, that sucks! I WAS gonna ask if you were gonna experiment with a different turbo, but since your confident it will be warrantied, I guess not. Good luck with it Ryan.

Well see. If this isnt fixed then big daddy might be steppin out of the game and gettin an 08

wowza that sucks, but at least it will probably be fixed under warranty.

That's a nice noise they make when they let go huh ? LOL
Mine did exactly what you describe....except I was WOT at about 55 psi when it let go. It was kinda loud. LOL
Luckily...I was less than a mile from my parents house so I just coasted in and parked it there till I got a new one in.

LOL when mine went I think it made someones day. I was on the highway and just after it happened I passed someone pulled over by a state trooper. well the smoke was soooo bad I could not see any of the 4 lanes behind me..and none of the traffic. So I pulled over. Next thing I know before my tailpipe stopped smoking theres the trooper flying up to me..he gets out with with a fire extinguisher asking if I was on fire! lol..I think the person pulled over was feeling pretty lucky when I drove by! It was a good laugh..especially after we dicided to fire it up and go the next 1/4 mile to a rest area. I don't think I could accurately describe the amount of smoke it made..

Rich- It was nasty. I could not imagine what mine would have sounded like at WOT. Its one of those noises that you cant explain.

Blk350on20s said:
Well see. If this isnt fixed then big daddy might be steppin out of the game and gettin an 08

Your only jumping ship because you cant keep up with the real "BIG DADDY".

At least with a 6.4l youd have a real excuse:hehe:

Blk350on20s said:
I have never sprayed it with this turbo,

They dont call him the Purge King for nothing

Piss piss*nx*

I describe that noise as 10,000 fingernails scratching a chalk board all at once....it's the closest I could come to describing it.

When mine exploded I was on my friend's farm. He came runnin over because he said it sounded like I had hit a deer and it was stuck under the truck squealing. I drove over 10 miles back home. People were not too happy with me, given the 225 injectors and the fact I drove it like I stole it the whole way home.

Rob:umno: if big daddy steps out of the game and into an 08 ill already have twins. haha. Then my plush interior ass will be zingin by ya and you wont even be able to here me.:what:
Rich- That is a pretty good way to describe it

We all have dreams:blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1:

Onestock. Rob was talking to me about dreaming not the track times.

My turbo was one of the earlier ones. I believe since then he has changed the shaft and bigger bearings or one of the two. And has done some mods to the compressor side of the turbo to deal with surge. Seeing as I have none of those would explain why my turbo busted. Hopefully I get this worked out.

Mine failed within 100 miles. Apparently the journal bearings installed were out of spec from the start. Also I must say I had a new turbo at my house before i even had a chance to take the smoked one off the truck. The turbo made more of an improvement on the truck than any other mods I had made. until I get the cr in.

Back