NADM 2.6 rules-draft

We always do whats best for the class across the COUNTRY.

If PPL adds an MWE location to their rules like I believe they will, then most of the larger organizations beside FPP and NADM will be protrusion, as well as many of the largest paying events during the season. So what is best for the Country is to adopt a common turbo rule whether you like it or not. I could easily see other organizations going to a single tire limit vs allowing an open rear, it is the easier/cheaper solution and will keep more people interested.

Let me give a different perspective on the turbo rule you propose, and why it really isn't saving anyone any money.

Turbocharger: The vehicle is limited to a single turbocharger; the inducer bore on the compressor housing may be 2.6”. The inlet will be measured using a 2.65-inch plug or internal calipers. Bushing from any larger turbo size down to a 2.6 turbo is PROHIBITED. A stock map width enhancement (MWE) groove is allowed. No MWE groove will be allowed that has a width greater than 1/4 inch. All provisions allowing air to the wheel other than via the bore and the MWE groove are prohibited.

Based soley on this the competitor have a few options;
1. A true 2.6(66mm) compressor wheel with a standard MWE groove.
2. A turbocharger with a large native wheel and an MWE groove in front of the wheel.
3. A protrusion charger of any frame ie; Borg Warner, Garrett, Holset.

Anyone that wants to compete on a larger scale will buy a protrusion charger that fits other organization's rules. So in essence you are only saving the people money that only pull with NADM or FPP. This is great for those two organizations, but also limits the competitors as they will not be legal for PPL or BOB/COTPC events such as TS, Platte City, Scheid, etc.

Now here is the problem, what you have allowed is; protrusion chargers, deck plates, duals, and open drive line, all in the same class. Remember, it's not about what is written in the rules, but more about what isn't written.

Last edited:
Smokem, that turbo rule has been in place since 2008. I would take your post as insulting, but I do understand being from Iowa, you probably haven't followed us very closely.
We have went to great lengths to keep rules as stationary as possible, going to different rules meetings across the country, spending many hours on the phone, trying our damnedest to keep rules from changing every year and costing people money. I did that also as a puller from about 99 on.

The end result is always the same-the pullers scream for leaving **** alone, they lose for a season, then want something changed., usually something under their own hood. Its a large game of whack a mole.

Your last paragraph is amusing, we are not going to allow, we already have, those rules haven't changed since the the get go, aside from open driveline, and somebody already admitted they were chirping about bigger rear ends.

Remember, a Rockwell is cheaper than a Dana 80 and doesnt add 1HP, isn't that the standard we are lead to believe about other rule changes?

Are full pull guys going to use these rules. If so I will be surprised seeing as they used to get all worked up if someone wanted to run a Hood stack.

from phone

So what is best for the Country is to adopt a common turbo rule whether you like it or not..

Another misconception, whether I PERSONALLY care for it or not does not matter, I have pullers, shops, sponsors, fans, promoters etc to worry about, most I'm quite sure you have not talked to.If the majority are ready for protrusion, we'll do it.
They weren't ready 2 years ago, when protrusion was going to save the world-and did nothing.Except make a few turbo shops some money. How did you make out on that, Smokem?

This is the dumbest class ive seen yet no other org runs open driveline in 2.6 you think you will have enough want to change their trucks just to run nadm? Imo your screwing nadm's future your adding to the 2.6 problem your just making it a even bigger money class .

Just because they allow open driveline doesnt mean you need it with a 2.6 turbo. Only advantage is having a solid reliable drivetrain you dont have to worry about. A open driveline 2.6 truck is not goin to just go out a dominate a oem 2.6. To be honest you can build open driveline setup for the same price or cheaper than what alot of these guys have in their oem drivelines.

Smokem, that turbo rule has been in place since 2008. I would take your post as insulting, but I do understand being from Iowa, you probably haven't followed us very closely.

Actually, yes I have. I understand that ODL does not add power, but like protrusion it is a step that cannot be taken back once made.

The very definition of MWE gives it a location. If it is moved, it no longer is a MWE, but a secondary bore.

Your rules state a 0.250" groove, you know this still allows the location to move correct?

They weren't ready 2 years ago, when protrusion was going to save the world-and did nothing.Except make a few turbo shops some money. How did you make out on that, Smokem?

I was against protrusion, still am, but I can also face the facts, unlike you seem willing to do. Gene, I don't sell turbochargers on a regular basis, so I guess I turned out normal? I understand you not wanting to "force" this on the competitors, but it's not going anywhere as far as anyone can tell, so you might as well welcome yourself to 2013.

I don't agree or disagree with your set of rules. I am sure you are doing what you feel is best for your organization. At this point my question is, why did you post a DRAFT of rules if you feel so strongly about them being correct? When you get them finalized, show them to the competitors and they will make the decision to support your organization or not.

There will be plenty of places to pull with a PPL "style" set of rules this year. At least in my area, I am glad that there is at least 5 organizations in my area that I can load up and go hook with them at any time.

Imo your screwing nadm's future.

Thats year after year. Because of that they are forced to have a set of rules that makes it nearly impossible to fail tech and covers the whole countries rules. Ensuring everyone is legal to pull with them. They will take any puller they can get. From what I've seen the last couple years, thats not many competitors. Looks like a run what you brung organization with turbo limits.
Gene you should get rid of your co-workers and take the reigns of this on your own. Then you won't be forced to do this stuff. Until then you have others rep ruining your ass on the pulling side. Doing anything you can to get folks to show up. Everyone knows your just a grumpy old ass hole, but is ok with that cause your honest. Brutally honest LOL

Unless they limit the tires, forcing those big 2.6 motors to 3.0 class. You might as well have open 2.6. One or the other.

Last edited:
Gene you should get rid of your co-workers and take the reigns of this on your own. Then you won't be forced to do this stuff. Until then you have others rep ruining your ass on the pulling side. .

I have ignored you since you stabbed us in the back a couple years ago, but this needs addressed.

No one has ever told me what to do with pulling rules, ever.

One time, Ron Knoch asked me a favor, and let a friend of his in a high profile invitational only pull. I hesitated, as it was for PROS, not wannabes, but I made room for him.
He showed up and as expected, he embarrassed NADM, His company, and Diesel pulling in general.

His name was Anthony Reams.

The person you have bashed the hardest, stuck up for you the most, until you stabbed him in the back. You are a heluva friend to have.

Uhhh could you point out to me where it says MANDATORY driveline requirements?:bang

kjpcummins gets it.

Never said it did but you will have the 3.0 truck change a charger and come down with little change to their trucks and run the class, i talked very highly of the 2.6nadm rules to alot of people because they req full interior to keep gutted trucks out it was a really good class, was looking forward to running some of nadm pulls this year but all the 2.6 and 2.8 classes around me other then full pull doesnt allow open driveline. and i understand that just putting a rockwell in doesnt add hp, but allows you to run more motor and a harder hooking set-up, quite simple statement pretty easy to see what will happen when you allow open driveline

As I know 2.6 always is and will be in the center of rules discussions, why dont we promote the growth and expansion of the 3.0 world, get some ideas generated to push that class to a point it's not an easy change to 2.6. Why try and be the 2.6 rule book no one follows when you can promote a 3.0 class to entice more 2.6 trucks to go up?

As I know 2.6 always is and will be in the center of rules discussions, why dont we promote the growth and expansion of the 3.0 world, get some ideas generated to push that class to a point it's not an easy change to 2.6. Why try and be the 2.6 rule book no one follows when you can promote a 3.0 class to entice more 2.6 trucks to go up?

So what would you change in 3.0 to push it away from 2.6, more then it already is? Only thing left is cut tires and tube chassis. Im game for the tires but not the tube chassis.

Back