Need a favor in the Breman, Ga area

73stroke99

I am purchasing my first Duramax. 2003 gmc, is there any things I should focus on when inspecting the truck? Obvious signs of engine problems or trans? If someone is in the area of Breman, Ga would you mind looking at this truck? I am traveling 700 miles to get it on Monday.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=28211&endYear=2004&fuelCodes=DSL&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&sellerType=d&sellerTypes=d&maxPrice=16000&mmt=%5BGMC%5BGMCC25PU%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&modelCode1=GMCC25PU&showcaseOwnerId=72535&makeCode1=GMC&startYear=2003&searchRadius=500&bodyStyleCodes=TRUCKS&minPrice=15000&listingId=359250355&listingIndex=2&Log=0

Thank you, I hope to return the favor someday.
John.

Jack up the truck and check the front hub assemblies (grab the tire at 12 and 6 and check for play), check around the back of the transfer case for leaks (pump rub), check the upper rad hose before you start it (see if it's got compression and look in the coolant tank for soot) also check for smoke at idle, fuel in the oil (with the paper towel test), or hard starting when warm (any of the 3 pointing to injectors).

Yeah, I plan on checking that stuff out. My only concern are the injectors. I had my local dealership run the vin and it was serviced regulary. I didn't see anything about Injectors being replaced etc. is there any way for bad Injectors to be "Hidden"?

Thanks

If it wasn't 2 hours away from me, I'd go take a look for you.

Sent from my paperweight

Yeah, I plan on checking that stuff out. My only concern are the injectors. I had my local dealership run the vin and it was serviced regulary. I didn't see anything about Injectors being replaced etc. is there any way for bad Injectors to be "Hidden"?

Thanks

If they were replaced under warranty they wouldn't be hidden. Had they been done by an outside shop, they wouldn't show up on GM vin check.

Well when I ment "hidden" is there anyway to doctor up lb7 injectors so there is no smoke etc. I guess hide a problem with them long enough to sell it.

Well when I ment "hidden" is there anyway to doctor up lb7 injectors so there is no smoke etc. I guess hide a problem with them long enough to sell it.

I misread that.

If they have a high return rate (hard starting when warm is usually a sign) they may not smoke at idle. Also if they're borderline the smoke may only be noticeable at night with lights behind it. I don't know of any way to mask a known injector issue, though I've never tried.

Well i will find out I guess soon enough. All I know its going to be a long Greyhound ride down Sunday night. I assured the salesman not to play games with me, especially after traveling for 10+ hours. Excited about getting a new truck, went from 4 Powerstrokes to a Duramax.

My only problem is I wont be able to see balance rates or fpr readings. Unless I ask the dodge dealer to run it.
Thanks.

smell and feel the oil. is it excessively thin? does it smell like raw fuel? just another quick test of the injectors.

if it is quiet and doesn't smoke, i'd say the injectors are likely fine, though with over 100k on an LB7, i'm surprised GM didn't do them under warranty.

Yeah, they ran it through service and changed the oil, new tires and did brakes. I am making them drive the truck an hour to Atlanta to pick me up.

Bought the truck and drove it home. The only smoke/haze I seen was under wot around 70-75 mph, or when punching it around 15 or so then it clears up. Oil smelled ok etc.

Logged 780 miles, averaged 22 mpg hand calc. The last 300 was loaded with 1500lbs Matco toolbox. So far very happy. Wish I can post pics from my phone.

Back