Need a new convertor

1stgen.12

my 91 decided to give me a early christmas present today and burned up a torque converter!! i had a heavy duty one in it, but i guess it wasnt enough! whats a good one out there for a good price? needing one ASAP!! thanks!

theres a lot of good ones, a lot of people use gorends, great guys and great warranty service, i have a custom 4 disc b uilt by red line converter out of phoenix arizona it cost only 700 bucks and had a 5 year warranty good luck buddy

my 91 decided to give me a early Christmas present today and burned up a torque converter!! i had a heavy duty one in it, but i guess it wasnt enough! whats a good one out there for a good price? needing one ASAP!! thanks!

Do you know if your trans is the factory original?

Unless I'm mistaken, your truck runs a 727. Dodge switched to the A518 somewhere between 90 and 91.5. Not sure when.

Regardless, those transmissions do not have a lock-up type converter like the later 1994 and up trucks.

With that being the case, you've not burned up your converter. Bands or clutch-pacs maybe.

Gorend Best warranty available.Lifetime I think!!! They are the closest feel to a lock up I think.

Do you know if your trans is the factory original?

Unless I'm mistaken, your truck runs a 727. Dodge switched to the A518 somewhere between 90 and 91.5. Not sure when.

Regardless, those transmissions do not have a lock-up type converter like the later 1994 and up trucks.

With that being the case, you've not burned up your converter. Bands or clutch-pacs maybe.

You can definitely kill a converter regardless of whether or not it has a TCC in it.

Gorend Best warranty available.Lifetime I think!!! They are the closest feel to a lock up I think.

That would solely depend on how the converter is set up and what kind of power the motor is making.

i rebuilt the trans last summer and had replaced the bands and clutch packs along with the converter. the converter that i put in it was dodge's RV converter which was suppose to be a heavier duty converter....guess not! i have no idea what hp i putting to the trans, but ive done pretty much all i can do with the motor before i buy some new sticks.

QUOTE=mondtster;955291]You can definitely kill a converter regardless of whether or not it has a TCC in it.

That would solely depend on how the converter is set up and what kind of power the motor is making.[/QUOTE]

:bow: I was sayn by seing this guys post he would want a low stall and not a dang 3500stall or somethin...

You can definitely kill a converter regardless of whether or not it has a TCC in it.
Certainly one can balloon the case, tear-up the internals, etc, but not burn it as there are no clutches in it. ;)

Suncoast makes a fine converter for the Dodge/Cummins non-lockup converters. :)

Certainly one can balloon the case, tear-up the internals, etc, but not burn it as there are no clutches in it. ;)

Guess we're being picky on word choice huh?

:)

Guess we're being picky on word choice huh? :)
Well, I see this often . . . .

Typically, folks wanting to repair/upgrade the 1st gen transmissions know little about the innards. Many have Buddy's who drive later model trucks who are more than willing to offer advice based on their experiences with said newer truck.

Sooner or later somebody brings up the newer lock-up converters. While it's in a well intended / helpful notion, more often than not, everybody gets confused till they learn better.

1stgen.12 probably knew his is a non lock-up. Gone Ropin perhaps doesn't.

Left alone, someone may propose he sneak in a hardened/billet input shaft. :bang

well i got one from goerend. should arrive tuesday and be in the truck by the weekend. now if i can just get some cheap pod's for it i would be set

How much HP can a A518 od take? I was going to put a recabration kit(internal springs and such) in it. Still has stock converter

I'm currently putting right at 450hp to the ground through mine. In addition to the Suncoast converter, I've increased the clutch/steel count in all the clutch-pacs as well as mod the valve-body.

It works OK I guess. :)

How much HP can a A518 od take? I was going to put a recabration kit(internal springs and such) in it. Still has stock converter

I'd say it'll be good, the converter will just start to slip more and more.

Balloon the converter is what you mean? If you balloon one, better pull the engine pan off and check your thrust bearing..

Last edited:
Back