Need help deciding which turbo?

murphy41

So I talked to Chris at ED, and talked about Which Turbo to do... Just looking for a few more opinions.

Fueling is 5x.018 injectors with lift and stroke, 550cc pump, set up and tuned to run a single. Chris reccomended the ED S469 Ett, but I'm thinking the S472? ? Let me know your thoughts!

Listen to Chris. I ran their 468 and it wanted lots more fuel than my 12.07 pass threw at it or even when the truck was running what felt like 2 tents stronger judging by sotp before the head gasket went.

We have gotten the turbine's tighter since your 468 too Nick. The new compressor wheel is just a touch bigger, 67.7 versus 69.4 so it closes in on the 71.5 (everyone's 72) for airflow without as much compressor load while spooling.

We have gotten the turbine's tighter since your 468 too Nick. The new compressor wheel is just a touch bigger, 67.7 versus 69.4 so it closes in on the 71.5 (everyone's 72) for airflow without as much compressor load while spooling.

What is interesting about this is the larger compressor will build more boost(move more air) at the same turbine speed. Unless the design of the wheel is completely different, and/or the exducer is way smaller on the compressor. I would think the spool would be almost identical.

My personal experience is in running the 2.8 and the 3.0(both which have the same exducer) the 3.0 will spool easier at the line(now from a roll on, I can't say). I have even ran a 2.6ETT s400, these were all with the same turbine section, and the 3.0 spooled the best out of all of them, and the truck ran the best with the 3.0 on it.

Part of this can be easily illustrated, as we have all been in the vehicle, that once the charger starts to make boost it turns into the self feeding cycle. It is that first 2 or 3 psi that take the work, once the charger starts to go it is off to the races. At the low boost levels the compressor isn't heavily loaded, the only thing your fighting is inertia(which is impacted many fold by the diameter of the wheels).

Now playing with the turbine side size is much influential to spool.

What injectors were you running Nick?

Weston's 5x13s 300bar with alot of lift work. Same injector i'm running on my current ED 62/68/13ss charger. Differences in fueling with current charger vs. s468 include: currently 20 degrees vs 26 degrees timing previously, 181 delivery valves vs. 191s previously and than later 022s previously, and stock rack cap vs. 2095 rack cap in my 887 pump previously. The addition of the 2095 rack cap is what led me to think the truck was 2 tenths faster than the 12.07 pass but unfortunately the weekend I was going to find out the head gasket went on me from playing around:bang

The 12.07 pass was run with the stock rack cap never ran it with the 2095 cap

i would go with the s469, and i have a bigger turbo then that now, but when i buy another charger, it will be some like a 64/68/14 from E.D. not that my current charger is that bad, but when 6.0's with just a tune are getting you from a roll with over 100hp less and 800lbs more something has to be done.

So do you think the 469 will flow for 5x.018's with lift work? And a 913 pump with rack cap and benched and flown?

So do you think the 469 will flow for 5x.018's with lift work? And a 913 pump with rack cap and benched and flown?

Yes. Keep the timing around where I had mine or more if you want to run the 913 with a 2095 cap.

i would go with the s469, and i have a bigger turbo then that now, but when i buy another charger, it will be some like a 64/68/14 from E.D. not that my current charger is that bad, but when 6.0's with just a tune are getting you from a roll with over 100hp less and 800lbs more something has to be done.

If you have an auto manually shift that sob and forget about the powerturd:p. I've made many of them upset with the previous s468:)

What is your turbine section? That could have a lot to do with it. I am thinking your running highfinance97's old charger?

Well looks like I'll order the 469! Soon as my money is released, ya the happy spot for my timing is 24* ?

Well looks like I'll order the 469! Soon as my money is released, ya the happy spot for my timing is 24* ?

If you want to run the 2095 plug in a 215 pump (887 or 913) you may want to bump it up a few degrees. I've tried it with 20 or less and IT SUCKED BIG TIME. I tried it with 26 and it turned the truck into an animal! Ofcourse I had different turbos on each time but after a conversation with Weston I think timing is the cause for it working or not.

So like 26* I should try that? Maybe I will with the new set up and see how she rolls

Thanks again for the replys, I'll get on the phone and give Chris the order!

Back