need help getting truck to stay in right gear

cumminspower6

alright guys ive got a big issue with my truck. last year I had 35" tires and a smaller tune that turned the rpms to 4k. Now this year ive got a bigger tune that is making more power and im turning the rpms up to 4500 and I dropped down to a 33" tire.

now the problem is im building up so much speed or wheel spin that towards the end of the track the truck is shifting into 4th gear instead of staying in 3rd where its strongest. When it shifts to 4th its knocks out my turbo then downshifts and gets back to business but its costing me a lot of momentum. Is there something I can get that will keep it in third other than buying a manual. thanks will post video if I can

how well that gonna work as a DD? cant get the videos off of facebook since I was tagged in them instead of being on my computer dangit but you can try to look up Tyler Poland

Doesn't necessarily have to be a ratchet shifter. You can go with a gated shifter if you're looking to throw streetability in the mix. There are quite a few people who street a gated shifter. But as he said, manual valve body for sure if you're wanting to have control of your trans.

everyone around here have used ratchet's in there dd trucks, i didnt know there was anouther option?

alright guys ive got a big issue with my truck. last year I had 35" tires and a smaller tune that turned the rpms to 4k. Now this year ive got a bigger tune that is making more power and im turning the rpms up to 4500 and I dropped down to a 33" tire.

now the problem is im building up so much speed or wheel spin that towards the end of the track the truck is shifting into 4th gear instead of staying in 3rd where its strongest. When it shifts to 4th its knocks out my turbo then downshifts and gets back to business but its costing me a lot of momentum. Is there something I can get that will keep it in third other than buying a manual. thanks will post video if I can

Can't u shut overdrive off? Only year u couldn't was 05 I think. If nothing else put the overdrive wire oon a toggle so u can lock it out. U might need to put a 33ohm resistor in to keep it from going to limp mode

what year truck? Also you can get an overdrive lockout box for a couple hundred bucks. Wire it up and double click the tow haul button and it locks o/d out. (This for 05 truck)

Ratchet shifter won't help anything. Still would shift into od

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
what year truck? Also you can get an overdrive lockout box for a couple hundred bucks. Wire it up and double click the tow haul button and it locks o/d out. (This for 05 truck)

Ratchet shifter won't help anything. Still would shift into od

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

They were talking about the ratchet shifter with a manual valve body, not just it working by itself.

its a 2006 but I don't have an issue with it going into OD but its got an issue of going into 4th instead of staying in 3rd so would shutting the O/D off help any? I usually just put it in tow haul

its a 2006 but I don't have an issue with it going into OD but its got an issue of going into 4th instead of staying in 3rd so would shutting the O/D off help any? I usually just put it in tow haul

Overdrive is 4th. Shut the OD off.

I have 2 good videos but I cant get them on here from facebook. so if I have the O/D off I cant have it in tow haul so will my tune still go up to 4500 rpms

You can have it in tow haul and overdrive off if its an 05 I have the bd box and it works good for most part sometimes a little tricky to get od off when going down rd but keeps it in 3rd whole way down the track. Then you can add a lockup switch and use that too going down track !

Back