need help on dialing in he351/s475 on 06 cr

06towrig

hi i was wondering if you guys could answer a couple questions for me. i made a he351/s475 1.32ar compound setup for my 06 common rail and have been trying to dial it in. at first when i had stock injectors i had the he351 wastegate bored to 1'' and my truck could hit 50 psi with the 475 makin 30lbs and when i decided to install 35lpm 60%over nozzles i also added a 38mm external gate cause i read that i would need it to keep drive pressure down. the truck runs stronger with the new injectors but now with the new e-gate the 475 at WOT pushes 45lbs! and the total psi is only about 50-53lbs. and that is with the he351 gate tightened down real tight and has no air to assist it in opening, i feel like the 38mm gate is letting to much by the he351, so i tried disconnecting the 38mm and letting the he351 gate open instead and now it boost like 60lbs but it feels slower up on the top end and feels restrictive like theres a ton of drive pressure. i dont have a dp guage so im gonna get ones soon. do you think i should run it with the he351 gate so it make 60lb or let it just make psi mainly from the 475 alone?can you help me out or give me some advice?

heres a pic, did i make it so that the e-gate gets to much flow?

wastegate2.jpg

heres another view, i know the exhaust wrap under the clamp is trashy, im still working out the bugs, and trying to stop some leaks

wastegate.jpg

There are a lot of ways to do this, check out lostnwalmart's threads about his twin setup.. Going through the same issue. Iirc, he is using the egate with a combo of boost and regulated pressure to open exactly where he wants it...
There is a lot of info also in the tuning twins thread.

When running a small manifold turbo, it's not uncommon for the big turbo to do 90% of the work after both turbos are lit. My 95 Dodge with a 57mm/71mm setup made more power at 57psi with the internal gate open, than at 65psi with it shut. Drive pressure went from 70psi to 99psi! Now with some more fuel, it will hit 63-ish psi with 42psi coming out of the big charger. If you wanted different pressure ratios, you'd need to change your manifold turbo, but really, I don't think it matters all that much. It's nice to have the response of a small turbo down low.

Did you just flip your factory exhaust manifold and make that adapter with the external gate mounted on that's an interesting idea!!

ya its kinda unique, its a pdi 3rd gen manifold flipped, havnt seen another setup like it.

i decided to make the wastegate adjustable by using a regulator, also now have a drive pressure guage and im seein 60 psi at 70lbs drive pressure

Last edited:
its about 1:1 until you get past 40psi then it starts gettin higher on the drive pressure side, at one point it made 65psi with 75lbs drive pressure but i felt like that was too much and dont really know what max drive pressure should be, i do have arp 2000's so im not too worried

Back