Need help setting tolerances on overdrive brake clutch

PRINCETON_JAKE

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my goerend built 48RE after snapping an intermediate shaft. I've made 2 parts orders and having a problem setting up the over drive brake clutch pack. My trans has the flat .215 pressure plate, not the stepped/machined plate. Dave says he does not/would not run them, anyways even with both the flat and wavy snap rings underneath it still had 6 frictions and 6 steels.

My problem is I can only fit 5 new ones. The new steels measure the exact same as the old steels .068 roughly. The new borg Warner frictions measure .0875ish do I picked up a set of alto red Eagles as Dave suggested, but they are the same thickness. My old clutches measure between .0620-.0660 but they are very worn!

So right now if I remove the wavy washer I can squeeze the 6 new sets in but have ZERO clearance.

Is there thinner frictions??? I can't really afford to wait 3-4 more days to hear from goerend.

I don't want to do the stepped plate either

I've only seen one thickness of OD brake clutches and steels, but I don't mess with alto or other exotic clutches. You need some clearance between the last steel and the snap ring or you will get heat build up from friction.

What clutches do you have now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only seen one thickness of OD brake clutches and steels, but I don't mess with alto or other exotic clutches. You need some clearance between the last steel and the snap ring or you will get heat build up from friction.

What clutches do you have now?

The clutches that came out were a red material with grooves. The new red altos don't have grooves and are stock thickness. I can't find anything thinner either.

I'm lost here and without a vehicle so I need to get this done!!!

Just run 5 altos with the stock 2 snap ring setup then.

I run machines plates and haven't seen a problem. I don't run crazy high pressure on my transmissions though

No matter what you decide, just leave the wavy snap ring out. It's an extra fraction of a second to allow the clutches to slip. Just my .02c

Back