Need help with DPF problems

12vf250

I wear my bill curved
This truck is a customer of mine. Came to me with codes P1335, P246c, P2463, P242f, and P2453. I went thru the flowchart on Alldata and decided that the DPF needed replaced. If it were my truck I would have deleted it, but I dont know this guy so we went the legal route. Put the new DPF on and a new pressure sensor, cleared the codes and sent him on his way. 100 miles later the drive to clean exhaust system message came back and almost immediately in dropped into limp mode, reduced power, and the wrench light and all the same codes came back. I took it out to the Ford store to have them reset the DPF parameter in the ECM, and apparently they cant get it to work. Has anybody ran into this before? What am I missing. Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any help.

Nobody? I just talked to the stealership. They tried to do a manual regeneration, and it wouldn't complete. So they pulled the DPF off and found it completely plugged. This truck has ~200 miles on it since I replaced it. So now Im really puzzled. In ideas?

(excess) Hydrocarbons in the exhaust will show as high dpf inlet temp (higher than upstream readings) and you cant look at a dpf and determine that its plugged. Ask for the differential pressure reading and compare to spec.

Monkey Fist Rage

Could be turbo seals, dumping oil in exhaust.

I havent checked for myself, but they said it was overfull on oil. We did a change when I replaced the filter. 15 qts and a filter, right? And all the time I've had it, I've never seen any smoke of any color from the tailpipe.

(excess) Hydrocarbons in the exhaust will show as high dpf inlet temp (higher than upstream readings) and you cant look at a dpf and determine that its plugged. Ask for the differential pressure reading and compare to spec.

Monkey Fist Rage

If it is overfull on oil, or diluted with fuel, that could explain the excess hydrocarbons. There is a pressure sensor at the inlet of the DPF, is there one downstream as well? All I saw was temp sensors. Can you enlighten me about the differential pressure?

well, when they're completely plugged, you can certainly tell visually :eek:

The truck runs too good to believe that it could completely plug the DPF in a couple hundred miles. Albeit in limp mode. Its nice and smooth and quiet. Only codes present are the DPF codes that I listed initially. This would be alot easier if I had my own IDS, but thank you for the help so far.

Differential pressure compares pressure at both ends of the can to decide how much resistance to flow there is from soot.
It has to have some version of this to determine if a regen is needed.

The funky temp reading may be harder to see.
I could see a failng injector causing the dilution/overfill and regen issue.

Monkey Fist Rage

6.4's do not use a differential pressure reading... they have one pressure sensor in front of the filter. It does not have a pre and post filter port like a Dodge or a GM

6.4's do not use a differential pressure reading... they have one pressure sensor in front of the filter. It does not have a pre and post filter port like a Dodge or a GM

Its comparing it to atmosphere then.

Monkey Fist Rage

Its not in constant regen, its locked itself out thinking that the dpf is too full to burn off. And the excess hydrocarbon thing is starting to make sense maybe. More on that in a second.

I got an invite from the service manager this afternoon. He said that the exhaust is full of oily soot, and they dont know where it came from. But if it was barfing oil out the exhaust, wouldn't it be low, and not overfull like they said before? Im going out there in the morning to have a look around for myself. I'll take some pics and try to figure out how to post them for you to see. (Im computer illiterate bad) Thanks for staying tuned guys.

Not directly related but soot diluted by fuel can look like oil sometimes.

Monkey Fist Rage

Well, I got a look at it yesterday, most everything except the exhaust was still put together. The soot in the DPF was definitely oily, and the CAC tubes were full of oil. Enough to make a puddle on the floor when I pulled them off. So....I've got to talk to my customer and find out what he wants to do. He's in Africa for a month or something so it may be awhile before any more updates. Thanks for the help guys!

Pull the CAC and clean it. It will have a couple quarts of oil in it. Check cac tube from turbo to cac for oil. Breather/vent tube from valve cover leaking or bad turbo seal.

Back