Need info on very large detroit turbo

ShaferDiesel

Way To Small!
I just picked up a detroit p/n 23509399 or garret TV8405 turbo. I was told it was a GTA42 for a 12.7, which i think would work just nicly in my twin setup, but this thing is obviously much bigger. Tell me how it compares to a GTA42, and can I get a smaller exhuast housing to make it work? I'm tempted to put it on just for ****s n giggles, but i'ts brand new and maybe I can sell it if i don't play with it.

Oh, it also has a 1.23 turbin a/r. Justa wild guess if I could get a 0.92 i'd love it!

Whoever told you it's a GT42 is out of their mind.

Essentially what you have is the forerunner to the GT5518. The compressor won't get you as much flow as the current GT 118mm wheel since it was designed for higher pressure. There are smaller turbine housings but it's likely you'll have to go junkyarding for them.

I'll dig into it a little more this week. Which Detroit do you have shoehorned into a Yota? Post some pics!

Last edited:
Well I stuck it on, here it is.

I get exactly 5 lbs free reving with the small turbo only, I added the TV8405 and now get 8 lbs total, so it seems it may work. I can't drive it yet because the trans is shredded, but maybe later this week... Any thoughts?

883518_4775733838377_706448781_o.jpg

892145_4775734998406_2117761083_o.jpg

i like it a lot! make sure to rev the piss out of it, then wastegate around the little guy at rpm to drive the big one as hard as possible.

Looks like a fun project, and if it works, well, it works!

How did you come to that 80 lb/min mass flow? Because a 6.6L Dmax or 5.9 CTD moving 80 lb/min puts you in the 700HP range...and I don't think you're anywhere near that with what I see there. What's the high pressure charger?

How many CID and how many rpm will she turn? (sorry I can't ID old Detroits by eye like others here can)

Last edited:
Hey nwpadmax, thanks for the responce! It is a 3-53, I run it at 4000 rpms.

A stock 3-53T pulls right at 500cfm at 130 hp and 18 lbs boost. I am running (or was with my older turbo setup) 60 lbs boost, so that means maybe 1400 cfm and I think that converts close to 80 lbs/min. none of this math is hard facts, it's just what has condensed into my head while working on this thing, and some of it could be off.

Also a non turbo detroit has 110% VE, and a turbo just compounds that. 2 stroke means my 3 cyl breaths like a 6 cyl 318 cu. inch engine, so it all ads up to lots of air.

What turbo would I look for a lower a/r housing off of? Thanks for your help!

Being a higher pressure lower flow compressor sounds like it's what I want. I measured the wheels today, and can't remember all the dims, but I beleive it is a 117mm compressor wheel, i'll post it all when i get back to the shop tomorrow.

Back