Need some advice

Mr. Magoo

huh?
Im in a tight spot.

I brought my truck to Garmon to get my new injectors and cp3 installed last week. When they pulled the valve cover they noticed 2 broken head studs and a nasty combo of oil/coolant in the head. Upon pulling the head off they discovered some dumba$$ (previous owner had head work done) did some sort of head work they had never seen before, and my valves are trash.

So now the truck needs a new head, studs, and head gasket, which royally sucks since i just dropped $5k on injectors/cp3.

Now, since the head gasket failed and coolant was in the oil, how bad is this on the bottom end? I changed the oil 12/26/12 before a 550 mile round trip to charelston and i didnt notice any coolant in the oil. I might have put 600miles on the truck after that trip before i noticed the truck was puffing white smoke at idle. As soon as i noticed the white smoke I parked the truck and it sat for 2 months.

Would it be a mistake to put the truck back together without going through the bottom end too? this is quickly becoming extremely expensive and im trying to decide if should part the truck, or suck it up and fix it.

"a thick gunky mess" i believe is what i was told

Last edited:
Knowing how much coolant disappeared would give an idea how much possibly entered the crank case. If you showed up to Garmons and never had to add coolant it would make me doubt you need to worry about the bottom end.

If it had clumps I would pull the pan to clean everything up, blow out all the oil galleys and check the bottom end bearings while the pan is off. Go from there.

If it had clumps I would pull the pan to clean everything up, blow out all the oil galleys and check the bottom end bearings while the pan is off. Go from there.

This sounds like the route im going to take. Ive never pulled the pan off one of these motors. Didnt know you could check the bottom end bearings from there.

This sounds like the route im going to take. Ive never pulled the pan off one of these motors. Didnt know you could check the bottom end bearings from there.

Just lift up truck so front axle is at full extension and then lift engine 2-3". Pan almost jumps to the ground then. A two post lift is very handy for this process.

may not hurt to throw in main studs while you have the pan off. I believe they can be accessed easily through the oil pan.

Back