Need some advise, head gasket blown????

BSwope

I need help!!
Was on my way to do some Christmas shopping and my 1yr old son was at day care and got a call that he needed to go to the emergency room for a cut on his had..... I FREAKED i was 30mins from him and turned around and when I did I was in 3rd gear and smashed it, tires broke loose and motor spun up to about 35-3700 hit 4th same thing..... ran her up the mountain pretty hard but egt's never crossed 1200*. It ran fine after all that and got my son taken care of ( 2 stitches:doh:). Headed back to do some shopping and it ran great no funny sounds, went to pass a car and was in 5th so i pulled it back into 6th and poured the piss to it, sounded normal untill it got in the top end and made a loud knocking noise. Only dose it in 6th gear in the top end range..... 3rd, 4th, 5th wont do it but 6th makes the noise toward the back of the motor. Only dose it under hard excel and only in the higher rpm range.... if any of this makes any sense????
Any idea's guys? Head gasket?

I did the same thing about six months ago

Was on my way to do some Christmas shopping and my 1yr old son was at day care and got a call that he needed to go to the emergency room for a cut on his had..... I FREAKED i was 30mins from him and turned around and when I did I was in 3rd gear and smashed it, tires broke loose and motor spun up to about 35-3700 hit 4th same thing..... ran her up the mountain pretty hard but egt's never crossed 1200*. It ran fine after all that and got my son taken care of ( 2 stitches:doh:). Headed back to do some shopping and it ran great no funny sounds, went to pass a car and was in 5th so i pulled it back into 6th and poured the piss to it, sounded normal untill it got in the top end and made a loud knocking noise. Only dose it in 6th gear in the top end range..... 3rd, 4th, 5th wont do it but 6th makes the noise toward the back of the motor. Only dose it under hard excel and only in the higher rpm range.... if any of this makes any sense????
Any idea's guys? Head gasket?

Turned out it was #6 injector. The mechanic who worked on it said for some reason it is usually #6. Changed the injector and all was well. The loud knocking was the same as mine.

Tranny shifts smooth as butter and no weird noises from it.... drives in 6th gear perfect. Not saying its not that..... I forgot to mention that Lee and I pulled the injectors and look inside with a bore scope and everything looked great!
Noticed this evening that the coolant reservoir is alittle fuller than what it normally and seems to be gettin more in there!

You a pry lifting the head under high boost. 6th gear is where your going to make the most. Are your water temps rising?

have you checked to see if your upper radiator hose is still soft or is it hard after running it? (no homo)

have you checked to see if your upper radiator hose is still soft or is it hard after running it? (no homo)

No didnt check that... as soon as im able to get back to my truck ill try that and see what i can find..

You a pry lifting the head under high boost. 6th gear is where your going to make the most. Are your water temps rising?

I dont think they (glanced a few times) were but to be honest I didnt pay attention, was really trying to listen to the noise.

*EDIT*
This was happening with the stock injectors in.... changed tips to my DDP 90's today thought maybe was a tip going south and the knock is still there and then this is when I noticed the reservoir was filling abit , This truck has never seen 50 psi of boost yet....

Last edited:
Not the tranny... when you shell out a G56 gear there's no mistaking it.

I think you Swole'd it!

If it's knocking in 6th gear, you probably melted the 6th piston................

Sorry, that post wast meant for Cummins Forum.

I think you Swole'd it!

If it's knocking in 6th gear, you probably melted the 6th piston................

Sorry, that post wast meant for Cummins Forum.

???? little confused here were you posting to some one else's thread?

We bore scoped and everything looked great!

x3. My 05 CR made the same "knocking" at high boost about 500 miles before the head gasket blew out the back of the head. What a mess....

Knocking...like a rod knocking kinda sound? Or more popping kinda sound?
Don't guess I've ever heard it described as a knock.

Last edited:
I was just quoted $600 for cleanning, magnaflux, pressure test, surface and O-ringing..... seem high to me but what you guys think?

Back