need some ideas with the p pump issues im having

johndeerefarmer

well guys to start off ive been on here for a while but havent posted much.. and im out of ideas on this damn thing.. this is gonna be a long post..:doh:
trucks a 01 24valve 6speed..
currently running a single htt 64/71/14 , putting a s475 under it as soon as i get this pump figured out..
.093 lines
7x.012 sac injectors with .030 lift
airdog ll 200 gph set at 50 psi..
high pressure overflow valve..
i have the pump turned all the way down for this whole ordeal please keep it mind...

well to start off its a "913" 215 pump..
i had it benched and it flows 650ccs maxed out..
had cds full cuts
cds 5k gov springs set at 5000 rpm on the stand
pump pinned at 22 degrees on stand
the afc was supposed to be set up to full fuel at 30 psi.. more like 5 psi i could move it full travel with 1 finger..
and a flat cut plate...

first time running it with this new pump..
well to start off i put it on as soon as i recieved it back from being built.. keep in mind this thing is pin timed at 22 degrees.. truck was on tdc verified by dampner from when i converted it back in january i marked it when i had everything tore down..
it didnt run for chit at 22* just bogged down at over half throttle smoked so much it wasnt even practical to drive, smoke didnt clear at all, no power , saw 30 pds of boost..
i then tryed lowering the timing some to 20 then 18 it just kept running worse.. it wouldnt even free rev to 1500 rpms.. just white smoke and poped and banged..
i then set timing to 26 degrees, ran alot better but still way to much smoke never cleared acted like it was still bogging down when going to wide open. saw 50 pds of boost.. then my timeing slipped.. i used a can of break clean each time i adjusted it also, torqued the nut to 170 pds..

well to fix the smoke issue i took the full cuts out, installed a set of 191s i had laying around the shop, did the afc mods set full travel at 50 psi.. left the smoke screw backed all the way out its flush with inside of the housing.. then i used 5 cans of break clean on the damn thing set the timing at 30 degrees.. and upon initial start up no haze at idle at all, no haze while driving , if i mash it while driveing it clears up great, puts her sideways in 3rd and 4th instantly and hits 50 psi with a max of 1300 egts in 6th just to put it ran awesome..
i was finialy happy until things started going south..
i set my idle at 850 rpms and this thing will not take off in 2nd it just stalls so damn easy for some reason... it even stalls in 1st with out throttle imput and it will not start with out pressing the throttle down..
well my rpms started acting weird as well it would hang at 1500 until i put a light load on it while shifting gears.. and it would idle itself up also to 1200 or so then drop back down on its own..
but it still ran great.. just the idle issue and the dieing super easy...
then i was driving home frm work yesterday and i was just crusing in 6th and gave her a little fuel just enough to keep at 55mph, it was a decent hill.. it started to miss and had a stumble to it , still pulled great just had a miss.. no extra smoke nothing out of place just a miss ..well i pulled up in front of my shop to take a look at it and it wouldnt start back up had no smoke at all coming out the stack.. so i jabbed the throttle a few times and it then started.. well i shut it off again and this time no go.. verified shut down solonoid was working had 50 psi of fuel pressure at pump.. no fuel at injectors.. pulled the afc off and sure enough the freaken rack was stuck.. i jiggled it and freed it up then it fired up with no problem at all...
Why did the rack stick?
I alos removed the plate and it didnt hang in the rpms and idled down like it should but still has the miss...
what im wondering is this rack junk or what?

any help will be greatly appreciated
thanks,
mike

Last edited:
When you set your timing, you are checking plunger lift to be sure? Second thing If I back my pre-boost screw off all the way and slide the afc all the way to the rear the pump doesn't like it. It won't react to the throttle at all untill I move the screw in slightly or move the afc slightly forward. Lastly, it sounds like your governor springs are a bit too tight. Have you tried backing them off 1 click? It makes it less prone to stalling at idle and slight throttle. CDS built my pump and with the springs set as it came, it would stall when I put it in drive and was extremely touchy. i ended up backing it off a total of 2 clicks and it settled in nicely. Mine likes anything from 18 deg to 26 deg's with the latter being a bit noisy.

RonA

When you set your timing, you are checking plunger lift to be sure? Second thing If I back my pre-boost screw off all the way and slide the afc all the way to the rear the pump doesn't like it. It won't react to the throttle at all untill I move the screw in slightly or move the afc slightly forward. Lastly, it sounds like your governor springs are a bit too tight. Have you tried backing them off 1 click? It makes it less prone to stalling at idle and slight throttle. CDS built my pump and with the springs set as it came, it would stall when I put it in drive and was extremely touchy. i ended up backing it off a total of 2 clicks and it settled in nicely. Mine likes anything from 18 deg to 26 deg's with the latter being a bit noisy.

RonA

The first few times I used the dial indicator , to verify it.. But the time I set it to 30 I jus went off the dampner by measuring it. Ill try takeing a few clicks out off the springs, but should I worry about the rack being it stuck that one time ?
Thanks for your help :thankyou2:

just a question but did you remove the timing plug after you installed the pump?

what is the history of the pump?

If it stuck once, I would worry. You are lucky it stuck at the no fuel position and not the full fuel position...

what is the history of the pump?

If it stuck once, I would worry. You are lucky it stuck at the no fuel position and not the full fuel position...

well thats what im wondering, i am very lucky causs our pulling truck stuck wide open at 5500 from a set of over tight gov springs one time..

well i havent drove it on the road since it happend, but have started it 20 or so times with no issue sticking now.. can the gov arm being too low and going under the plate cause the rack to stick by chance? like getting hung up under it?

thanks,
mike

Back