Need some input. Buying an 06 6.0....

ISBand4BT

Okay guys, although I'm against it, my dad is lookin at a 2006 Ford F250 QCSB truck with the 6.0 automatic. What I wanna know is if anyone has some input on these trucks. It's got 159k miles on it. All I know is that the 6.0's weren't a real good motor. It has had some work done to it, but we don't kno and the dealer doesn't either. So any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys.

EGR delete, oil cooler replacement, injectors, and possibly head studs. At the mileage that truck has all of these things need to be done if they have not been already.

EGR delete, oil cooler replacement, injectors, and possibly head studs. At the mileage that truck has all of these things need to be done if they have not been already.

Actually if its stock and leaving it stock unplug the egr valve and you are good to go. I've seen 6.0s run 250k mi with few problems and on original stix. You can always upgrade to studs and other stuff if need be. Lot of late 6.0s had few issues.

From my smart car.

Last edited:
I'm going to go take a look at it on Wednesday. He said that the old owners did some upgrades to it. Anything that I should look for? I'm more a cummins guy, so I'm tryin to learn a lil more about the powerstrokes.

I have a buddy with an 06 6.0, I'm 100% sure the only reason it has not failed, is because he beats the bag out of it.

seems like people who baby them end up with the most issues

^^^ Change oil regularly and drive the hell out of it. Seems to work pretty good for me.

Well, its gonna be run by a guy who drives 20 minutes to work and that's about it. He just doesn't wanna be getting into a bigger headache than his little Chevy 1500 is giving him.

Well, its gonna be run by a guy who drives 20 minutes to work and that's about it. He just doesn't wanna be getting into a bigger headache than his little Chevy 1500 is giving him.

He's going to hate a 6.0 then because they can become a maintenance nightmare.

I've heard that from quite a few people. I'd much rather see him buy a Cummins, but thats just me.

If it is at a Ford dealer, ask for the oasis on it.

If it is still stock, delete the EGR. You also need to see it's temps on oil and coolant and the difference between the two. See if theres any white dried up coolant on the coolant tank and cap. You really don't have to stud it unless you are going to bump the hp over 400.

I would just drive it with the EGR delete and be fine with it.

Okay guys, although I'm against it, my dad is lookin at a 2006 Ford F250 QCSB truck with the 6.0 automatic. What I wanna know is if anyone has some input on these trucks. It's got 159k miles on it. All I know is that the 6.0's weren't a real good motor. It has had some work done to it, but we don't kno and the dealer doesn't either. So any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys.

I can give you some info when I get home this evening.

I will say this... If he is going to baby the truck while driving and skip out on maintenance then a 6.0l is not the trick for him.

Contrary to popular beliefs, 6.0s like to be worked

If it is still stock, delete the EGR. You also need to see it's temps on oil and coolant and the difference between the two. See if theres any white dried up coolant on the coolant tank and cap. You really don't have to stud it unless you are going to bump the hp over 400.

It's at a smaller private dealership. I can get ahold of a good MAC computer tho to hook up on it. It'll tell me anything that i wanna know about it.

I will say this... If he is going to baby the truck while driving and skip out on maintenance then a 6.0l is not the trick for him.

He wont be workin it hard. More like just driving it every day... and i'll end up doing the maintenance on it...

Ya mine gets worked regardless LOL.

What do you mean by temps betwen the two?

If the oil temp is more than 15* hotter than the coolant temp on the hwy, then the oil cooler is restricted and needs changed soon.

Back