Need some input. Buying an 06 6.0....

I can't believe folks still buy these things.I see more of these on the hook than any other truck....they are a nightmare compared to the other platforms out there. Get him something with a warranty. Just my .02¢

I can't believe folks still buy these things.I see more of these on the hook than any other truck....they are a nightmare compared to the other platforms out there. Get him something with a warranty. Just my .02¢

Everything has its problems. Some, obvoiusly more than others, but in the end its still his call.

They have pretty much covered the bases. Only thing I can figure to add is crawl under it with a flash light and look at the back of the heads where they meet the block. Your checking for oil and coolant coming from the H/G's. That where mine let go.

If he just wants a 20 minute commuter he's going to wish he'd bought ANYTHING else. Like others have commented, the 6.0 has to be run hard to survive. He's not going to do that commuting.

My $.02

We have 2 06 6.0's an 03 6.6 and an 08 6.7 and by far the 2 6 leakers have given us way more fits, one is studded with tuned FICM, 155cc sticks by Ryan caserly, and a billet turbo by Adrian, the other has bullet proof EGR cooler straight pipe both have SCT and blue springs and lift pumps, also both are flogged HARD on a daily basis, and both go down for some bs reason about every month or so,
We have resorted to changing oil about 500miles before required... And running rotella synthetic tripleP

I would try to talk him out of it if u can, if not check the oil cooler and engine oil temps for the cooler, EGR delete it, flush and run CAT ELC coolant in er, EGR delete, and make sure the fuel pressure stays above 60 psi or u gonna be buying injectors.. : ( blue spring help keep the pressures up, and upgrading the drain tube on te HPOP will also help, belong an later 6.0 try and see if it has the newer larger oil drain on te charger they are less likely to clog...

But get ready to maintain that pig!
I will say when they are running right they are STRONG trucks, it's just keeping them up that's a PITA!

Back