Need suggestions, secondary oil drain leaking?

Got Smoke?

We filled my new engine up with oil last Saturday and used a primer I built to prime the oil system. We didn't get the truck started and ran out of time so we left it alone till this coming weekend.

I go by the shop today to grab my radiator to drop off to be cleaned, and I am not pleased to find a couple of leaks.

I'm not a great welder but I still attempted to weld in my own second drain for my twins. I then covered it with JB weld to dress up my weld a little...it ran do the side of the pan before setting up. :bang

This is what I found today.:kick:
2012-06-26_17-53-34_609.jpg

2012-06-26_18-19-48_681.jpg

I've had two in truck fixes recommended so far, but I'm open to anybody who's willing to give an idea. I really don't want to pull the pan if I can help it. :(

Lynn suggested cleaning all the JB weld off and using QuikSteel?

Another buddy suggested some type of fuel tank repair system auto parts house's sell.

Help. :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang

Quick steel epoxy will work. But it has to be really clean (bare metal) to stick. What did you use to weld it with?

Quick steel epoxy will work. But it has to be really clean (bare metal) to stick. What did you use to weld it with?

I can get it clean I have a cheap set of 6" long carbide burr's.

My hobart 220 mig with Flux Core....and it was ground down to bare metal before welding. I'm just not a super great welder and dont claim to be.

That's a great machine. It should pull great through a bead. With flux core you have to pull, not push to keep the contamination out of the weld. Did you weld the inside also? I would try to go back over it and fill it in.

BTW, the cobalt blue looks awesome.

Its actually Chrysler Intense Blue, but thank you none the less. We put a lot of time and effort into dressing up the engine since it was out and it was cheap to do while waiting on money for big parts.

I'm thinking drain oil pan, clean off old JB weld with carbide burrs, and trying the quiksteel.

Unless someone else has a better idea?? :what:

Clean the heck out of it and silver solder. Devcon makes a pretty good steel putty product as well.

Back