New 3rd Gear Problem with Manual VB 47rh

Bosshawg600

PDP.com FireFighter
So I have everything back together and have been driving the truck around this weekend....... Only one little problem...

3rd gear seems to do what ever it wants! 1st is great, 2nd is fun then shift to 3rd..... nothing. I havent figured out exactly what causes it, but it seems like I have to blip the throttle a few times, then let of, then get back into it slowly and, boom, it finally goes into 3rd. Then LU and OD and Im driving down the road perfect.

Played with the TV lever a little and right now its tied back about 1/4" ish to all the way (hard to get fine adjustments with a zip tie...)

Am i missing something? Could a sloppy shifter cable cause this maybe? Different TV arm adjustment? Im auto dumb, so all this is new to me!

Last edited:
Check your shifter linkage its possible you are in between gears slightly. What shifter are you using? Manually shift into third and carefully remove your cable at the arm on the vb to see if it's between gears by moving the shift arm on vb forward and back.

Im going to try that soon, Im hoping its going that way!!!

But drove it into work this morning, same thing, but when it got warmed up i couldnt get it to go into 3rd at all. But I was very close to work and ran out of road to try more.......

I do know that the nuts that hold the cable onto the shift bracket to the trans dont tighten up very well..... almost like either they are slightly stripped out or the two nuts are one size slightly larger....

If it goes into 3rd when the fluid is cold that tells you it's not the shifter linkage. Kinda sounds like when the fluid gets warm and thins out you have an internal leak. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding. Do you have 3rd before the fluid gets warm?

It's because of the tv lever being solid mine does the same thing. If you give it a lil more throttle it should go right in.. the best way to fix it is to hook up a cable and make it work

Not saying TV isn't the issue but my tv doesn't actually make contact with the tv valve until damn near half throttle. The instructions in my kit had me shave a ton off of the valve. Mine shifts firm and quick into 3rd with no hunting.

Not saying TV isn't the issue but my tv doesn't actually make contact with the tv valve until damn near half throttle. The instructions in my kit had me shave a ton off of the valve. Mine shifts firm and quick into 3rd with no hunting.
What would happen if you gave it 3/4 throttle with a zip tie and then try to drive normal

At full throttle it shifts relatively the same. A little more harsh but that is a given at WOT.

My point is if you gave it 3/4 on the tv and 1/4 throttle fuel pedal it will hunt in 3rd every time... in an rh anyways

That may be so but that is why my TV is still hooked up and functional. Not zip tied.

Exactly my point the op has his in one location if I read his post correctly. ...

your correct, my TV is tied off semi-solid. But Ive been playing with the throttle to see what RPM it likes to kick into gear.... Seems to be most of the time afer I run it up to 2500-2600 then let the RPMs drop to 1800 or so it pops in gear.

your correct, my TV is tied off semi-solid. But Ive been playing with the throttle to see what RPM it likes to kick into gear.... Seems to be most of the time afer I run it up to 2500-2600 then let the RPMs drop to 1800 or so it pops in gear.
Hook a cable up to your throttle and your problems will go away

Just did some looking and I am mistaken, it is an RE (8 wire plug by the TV lever) Not sure if that changes TV tuneing at all or how 3rd shifts?????

My point is if you gave it 3/4 on the tv and 1/4 throttle fuel pedal it will hunt in 3rd every time... in an rh anyways

Not on every transmission. My TV was set 90% and I had no problems going to third no matter rpm or throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back