New 3rd Gear Problem with Manual VB 47rh

A squeal is most likely a high pressure leak in the vb. had one in a 42re develop the noise before and a vb swap cured it. Sounds logical given your problem.

Your 3rd gear problem is probably one of two places. Either the front drum is leaking pressure(likely the inner seal that should have the updated version used) or a vb problem(leaking or incorrect assembly). Vb is easier to swap and while its out you can air test the front drum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would a leaking VB cause an overall loss of pressure or just in a certain port?

Have you tried driving around with a gauge connected to the accumulator port to verify the pressure and see if it drops or does anything funny when 3rd gear is manually shifted?

Hooked up a gauge to the rear-most port on the passenger side (Governor). P and R sit at 0psi, D-2-1 all sit at about 80-85psi at idle, Driving down the road it holds quite steady at 165psi. There is a little bit of movement while shifting at low speeds, but its maybe 10-15psi.

Now I did get it to go into 3rd gear once today with the gauge on and as soon as I hit lock up and OD the gauge pegged at 200psi and would stay there. Shifting from 2nd to (attempted) 3rd there is no PSI drop what so ever at any RPM.

From the looks of the reading I was getting (unless I need to check another port) I can't see an internal leak with as little PSI movement as I had.......

Could I possibly have a bad 2nd gear servo not working right and releasing the 2nd gear band????

Gov pressure should be 1psi to every 1 mph till 20 or 30mph. That's with a regular valve body don't know if it applys to a manual. I would assume you have a damaged or leak in the gov. Those pressure you stated would be on on the accumulator port

Gov pressure should be 1psi to every 1 mph till 20 or 30mph. That's with a regular valve body don't know if it applys to a manual. I would assume you have a damaged or leak in the gov. Those pressure you stated would be on on the accumulator port

Gov is unplugged in the Transgo kit

Gov is inop in a manual setup. Drop your v/body and do a full port pressure test on your clutch packs thru the case.

Gov is inop in a manual setup. Drop your v/body and do a full port pressure test on your clutch packs thru the case.

Anyone have a write up on the air test? Searched and could find anything......

Have an ATSG? It details how to test and which port goes to what

I dont, looks like I need to do a bit of research. The ATSG manual in the Stickeys is not working.

but.......

Dropped the pan tonight to get that out of the way and the fluid drained. Took some pics. Thought if you guys say it needs rebuilt, there isnt much need to go father than this........

Not a lot of clutch material, but a good amount of brass! I dont know if this is normal from a "Used" transmission, or at the "Rebuild it Now" level.

20150331_194431_zpsc9gpoct7.jpg

20150331_194307_zpsabtmlppw.jpg

20150331_194252_zpscdtmkmpg.jpg

This is what was on the magnetic plug. Maybe a Tablespoon worth......

20150331_194405_zpsihdhl9qz.jpg

Back