New bearings or not???

Eastern Diesel

I have thought of putting new rod and main bearings in before this season starts, My truck has around 185k it sounds great im around 600hp now but will be higher shortly with some *nx*. I just need some suggestions

Josh

Some may say no but if it were me and I had the time and the money to do so I would. Im sure alot will say I have 200,000 and on the same bearings but when did it ever hurt someone to put new in? IMO it would be a move worth taking...
Brandon

unless the engine had low oil pressure or a "knock" I wouldn't mess with it. Now if you have the engine tore apart for other reasons then maybe.

I think it would be a good idea a set of bearings are about $400 is alot cheaper then a spun bearing and a nice window with a veiw especially if your going to:nos:

Plasti guage the clearances and see if they need replacing. I dought it seriously though, if the oil changes are kept up with reg. the bearings seem to live for ever in these engines.

This work will be done with the motor in the truck, Just take mounts loose and lift to get the oil pan off. I just thought that it would be a good idea since bearings dont cost that much.

This work will be done with the motor in the truck, Just take mounts loose and lift to get the oil pan off. I just thought that it would be a good idea since bearings dont cost that much.

Main bearings will be impossible to replace from underneath.
(Cooling nozzles)

If your gonna do it then do yourself a favor and pull it- then you can check over the entire shortblock....

i wouldn't do it unless your going to pull the motor and crank for soem other reason. why mess with something that has been running good you take the chance of getting a bad baring and have it window the block

i say leave it alone!

I tore my motor down and it had 185K on it with a few sled pulls and dyno runs and lots of heavy right foot and the bearings looked brand new! Heck the entire motor looked like it only had a few thousand miles no it. Quite suprized to say the least....

If you decide to roll rod and mains in chassis. Do not replace the upper mains, you could risk a piston cooling nozzle dropping and being cut!

if youre gonna do the bearings I wouldnt worry about the piston cooling nozzles. I have never seen one that was loose in the block. If one did try to drop down you would be able to feel it when youre trying to roll the upper bearing in place and you could always use a small screw driver or pick to lift it up into place while rolling in the new bearing.

but at 185k i wouldnt really worry to much about the bearings, unless the engine is coming apart for other work.

Back