New Diesel Drag Racing Series In The Planning Stage

COMP461 said:
PAUL did you get a invite to Pomona .

Nope. I won the bracket finals last year, not the race of champions. Or were you referring to something else?

Paul

Paul this looks like its going to take off. I put out a feeler to a Pro Stock friend of my, he immediately called back and was extremely interested in administrating the program and backing the entire program. He told me I was on the right track. He had taken a look at diesel specific events and thought it was to soon, but that this would allow the diesel vendors and pertinent mainstream manufactures to just in and grow the sport.

This will let every diesel truck a chance to race and even when they are the lone diesel at a gas only event they will be generating enormous exposure for every contingent on board. I have not seen where any diesel organization has every tried this in the past .

imelmo said:
Well that's kinda what I'm getting at. I'd still be making all the diesel events I can as I'm sure most would, but why not try and get a little somethin' for my local weekend racing too while getting the word out about diesels?

Then why didn't you race locally last year at Houston and turn in your results to DHRA for the points championship last year? Why didn't everyone race at your local track last year and turn in the results to have a chance at the purse?

Question. What NHRA track will hold 100,000 people? What NHRA track will hold 50,000? (hint: Las Vegas won't hold 100,000)

Question. Who does more for the sport? One who goes out 10 or so times a year, or one who goes out 2 or 3?

Local racing doesn't hurt DHRA. NHRA racing doesn't hurt DHRA. NHRDA racing doesn't hurt DHRA. Every form of diesel racing helps the sport and that should be our goal. What hurts diesel racing is when publically you pretend to support something, only to behind the scenes be trying to tear it down.

DavidTD said:
Then why didn't you race locally last year at Houston and turn in your results to DHRA for the points championship last year? Why didn't everyone race at your local track last year and turn in the results to have a chance at the purse?

Question. What NHRA track will hold 100,000 people? What NHRA track will hold 50,000? (hint: Las Vegas won't hold 100,000)

Question. Who does more for the sport? One who goes out 10 or so times a year, or one who goes out 2 or 3?

Local racing doesn't hurt DHRA. NHRA racing doesn't hurt DHRA. NHRDA racing doesn't hurt DHRA. Every form of diesel racing helps the sport and that should be our goal. What hurts diesel racing is when publically you pretend to support something, only to behind the scenes be trying to tear it down.

After reading my post here, Danny, this was not intended to imply you are trying to tear it down. You have done great things for this sport and should be commended.

DavidTD said:

Didn't realize y'all even had a local track program like that, otherwise I certainly would have. I made lots and lots of passes in '06. :D And for the record, I am a DHRA member. Just haven't gotten into the swing of being able to make all of the DHRA events I'd like to. Hopefully I can change that next year when I have more vacation time.

DavidTD said:
After reading my post here, Danny, this was not intended to imply you are trying to tear it down. You have done great things for this sport and should be commended.

No problem.:Cheer:

How soon could this program get started? I always like to see my fellow members get more for their racing dollars earned. Which vendors have inquired on this? I have a few races coming up in the North East and I would like the members to be able to start on this program if it starts up.....

RacinDuallie said:
How soon could this program get started? I always like to see my fellow members get more for their racing dollars earned. Which vendors have inquired on this? I have a few races coming up in the North East and I would like the members to be able to start on this program if it starts up.....
me too....

COMP461 said:
Paul this looks like its going to take off. I put out a feeler to a Pro Stock friend of my, he immediately called back and was extremely interested in administrating the program and backing the entire program. He told me I was on the right track. He had taken a look at diesel specific events and thought it was to soon, but that this would allow the diesel vendors and pertinent mainstream manufactures to just in and grow the sport.

This will let every diesel truck a chance to race and even when they are the lone diesel at a gas only event they will be generating enormous exposure for every contingent on board. I have not seen where any diesel organization has every tried this in the past .

Awesome, I'll contribute towards each person who starts a race organaztion "the more the merrier" Keep in mind, this is about promoting diesel motor sports everywhere. 10 new orgs by year's end....:rockwoot: .

I race at the club level at my local track. Certain events bring 3000-4000 thousand peolpe out to watch. These are mostly motorsports fans that don't realize the potential of these diesel trucks.

I have also raced in some diesel only events with not nearly the amount of fans. These fans are mostly family or diesel gearheads that know about what makes these trucks fast.

My thoughts; The fans that see these trucks perform for the first time, at the levels they do, will be the ones coming up asking questions and buying the products that make the aftermarket companies support our sport.

When I'm running in NHRA pro events against dragsters and highly modded strip only cars, the support in the stands for my daily driven, stock looking, crew cab is amazing. Is 12 seconds fast in our little nitche? not much anymore, but like posted earlier, sure is a eye opener to many new, potential customers.

My .02,
Rob

RD- so as someone who says they support ALL diesel events, will you be at the maple grove race or not? isnt that really close to home for you?

hey rob- i ran at some big ricer 1/8th mile track here in L.A. a couple months ago and beat a Cobra and a late model GTO. the return road goes right up against the bleachers and they were packed, the crowd cheered like crazy for a lifted turd that ran 8.0 at 89. i think its the smoke and the novelty that its your average tow truck that excites them.

Last edited:
BIGRPOWR said:
I think its the smoke and the novelty that its your average tow truck that excites them.

Definately!!! Every time I come down that return road I get the thumbs up! Never a bad experience. I think anytime you can make a 7500lb+ truck run with or beat cars that the public in attendance perceive to be "Fast" your gonna get some attention. The best comment I overheard in the staging lanes was "That's that truck that beat Sam's G35 . . . Yeah, he was pissed dog" :rockwoot: :evil

BIGRPOWR said:
hey rob- i ran at some big ricer 1/8th mile track here in L.A. a couple months ago and beat a Cobra and a late model GTO. the return road goes right up against the bleachers and they were packed, the crowd cheered like crazy for a lifted turd that ran 8.0 at 89. i think its the smoke and the novelty that its your average tow truck that excites them.

**laughs at 8.0 eight mile:hehe: **

J/K buddy! :D We'll see how those new shoes work out for ya; oughta be interesting.

IdahoRob said:
I race at the club level at my local track. Certain events bring 3000-4000 thousand peolpe out to watch. These are mostly motorsports fans that don't realize the potential of these diesel trucks.

I have also raced in some diesel only events with not nearly the amount of fans. These fans are mostly family or diesel gearheads that know about what makes these trucks fast.

My thoughts; The fans that see these trucks perform for the first time, at the levels they do, will be the ones coming up asking questions and buying the products that make the aftermarket companies support our sport.

When I'm running in NHRA pro events against dragsters and highly modded strip only cars, the support in the stands for my daily driven, stock looking, crew cab is amazing. Is 12 seconds fast in our little nitche? not much anymore, but like posted earlier, sure is a eye opener to many new, potential customers.

My .02,
Rob

Events like Night Fire in Boise are really great for that. Besides it's fun being the perceived underdog, and winning! Of course since you've been running there on a regular basis, the underdog status is really not working so well anymore! :rockwoot:

Paul

Just out of curiosity, how many on here race in the NHRA points series? I don't mean the friday night at the drags, but the actual Summit Racing Series, Championship ET series.

Paul

If I wasn't involved with the local diesel drags, I would have joined the Summit Series...

I think the hard part is finding individuals that are willing to pull the administration side of the work... You can find people that want to race their trucks, but all the work behind the scenes scares folks away...

Like Dave said, we tried it last year in the DHRA... It was a VERY SIMPLE concept that no one took seriiously, except Mark Huckstorf up here in Wisconsin.. Since the DHRA couldn't afford to put their neck out there again this year, we had to start our own series... about as "grass roots" as you can get... Absolutely no problem finding sponsors for each race, and we have been averaging about 18 entries each week...

The intrest is out there... This may be one of the few occasions that I would say that we don't have enough Chiefs, and too many Indians...

Back