new engine tryin to get first start

06cumminspower

jut put every thing bac to gether and rather than melting starter this truck is a 6 seed and I rolled it off, could not get to start I rolled for about a mile down the road and a mile up the road with th key on and showed engine was spinning about 1000rpms but never did fire, watching the gauge cluster the engine oil pressure never read, I would assume spinning one that fast it should have read?

Yes it should have read oil pressure while being pulled, I would put a mechanical gauge on it to verify. Sounds like a internal oil leak would be my best guess.

spoke with machine shop that assymbled the short block for some advice/ideas and I was not aware of the practice of packing the lpop with Vaseline to create a suction, since I did not do that he thinks the pump isn't priming up. is there a place on the front cover or hpop cover that I can pour oil in to run down to the pump to try and prime it? or should I just pull the pulley back off and try packing it?

Pull the pressure sensor off and pour oil down that. Its kinda of a small hole and is a PITA but it works. I have had todo that before when checking for long cranks on these trucks.

There is also a oil gallery plug that alot of times gets left out during assy of these engines that will cause no oil pressure.

One thing I alawys do before I button the motor up. Is pull the GP out and crank here over till I get oil pressure. Easier on the starter this way.

Mike.

poured a gallon down the sensor plug on top of cover and still didn't push any pressure, should I even be able to pour a gallon in through that hole? it would fill to the top and bubble back down. I guess next step is to pull oil pump and front cover to inspect? where is this oil galley on the crank?

Back