New Garrett GTW3684R aka GTW6262R

Thekid760

Has anyone heard anything about this new turbo from garrett? Seem like its a GTX35 but with a slightly larger turbine.

http://turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/turbocharger#GTW3684R

From http://www.himni-racing.com/turbochargers/garrett-gtw-series/garrett-gtw3684r-turbo-gtw6262r-ball-bearing :

Compressor:
- Compressor Wheel Inducer: 62.3mm Minor
- Compressor Wheel Exducer: 84.4mm Major
- Compressor Wheel Trim: 71
- Housing/Cover: T04S frame design w/ 4" inlet, 2.5" outlet and built-in slotted machined anti-surge.

Turbine:
- Turbine Wheel Inducer: 71.0mm Major
- Turbine Wheel Exducer: 61.9mm Minor
- Turbine Wheel Trim: 76
Turbine Housing Options:
- T3 Undivided Inlet w/ 2.50" 4 Bolt Outlet (Available in 63 or .82 A/R)
- T3 Undivided Inlet w/ 2.50" V-Band (Available in .63 or .82 A/R)
- T3 Undivided Inlet w/ 5 Bolt Ford Style Outlet (Available in .63 or .82 A/R)

Notes::
- NOT a direct drop-in replacement into the standard Garrett GT, GT-R or GTX-R Series turbochargers.
- External dimensions of the GTW Series bearing housing (CHRA) is physically larger than the Garrett GT and GTX series.
- Doe not use same oil feed and oil return fittings as the small frame Garrett GT or GTX Series turbochargers.
- ALL of our Garrett turbochargers come Fully Balanced from the factory & carry the manufacturers warranty.

Seems like the turbine housing choices aren't great however. Would the .82 T3 be too restrictive on a 12v with ext gate?

It was mentioned to me before that 2 of those were on the site now. Without looking them up again, I think both of those GTW's are bushing turbos. To me, the turbine wheel seems small. I wonder what the target market is?

It's a ball bearing charger according to garret. The price looks a little lower than a typical garret water cooled charger. That looks like a good tow turbo on a 5.9 but the turbine is pretty small for over 425-450 efficiently. 83 housing is close to 14cm so that would not be too bad.

Gt35 Turbine Wheel: 62/68
GTW3684r Turbine: 61.9/71
GT37 Turbine Wheel: 62/72.5
GT40 Turbine Wheel: 68/77

S300 Turbine: 65/74. & 68/76

The gtw seems like it would be a great fast spoiling secondary or superB type turbo but with greater comp flow.

Thoughts?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

The GTW series is available in both BB and JB cartridges. Looks like a nice mid range between the GT and GTX. I'm curious about how the GTW38 would fair.

Gtw384r
ODUCT SPECIFICATIONS:*
* Compressor Wheel Inducer: 64.3mm*
* Compressor Wheel Exducer: 84.4mm*
* Compressor Wheel Trim: 58*
* Turbine Wheel Inducer: 74.2mm*
* Turbine Wheel Exducer: 64.6mm*
* Turbine Wheel Trim: 76*
* Compressor Housing is T04S Frame with 4" inlet, 2.5" outlet, and built-in & machined anti-surge.*

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-450&Category_Code=GTW

Thanks tate. I wasn't aware of the gtw38.

I think that one might be a tad big for a fast spoiling secondary.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

seems like they will be prone to surging with the close wheel sizes when used as a single.

I agree, however I'm looking into using one as a secondary with my GTA4202. I was initially looking at a SuperB but started looking at either a GTX3582R or a GTX3076R with an Ext gate.

I like the GTW as it seems they are same as the gt30 & 35 but with larger Turbine which is what we need. The question for me know it which one would work best for a super fast spooling 600-650hp 12v?

http://www.atpturbo.com/info/garrettgtw.html

Garrett%20GTW%20Series%20Turbos_zpsp937382z.jpg

I would like to see compressor maps and Im curious so to shaft size as it states its larger than the GT35 series.

There may not be a lot of housings available now, but give it a while, and the aftermarket will catch up with the rest of the garrett stuff. I hate looking for garrett housings. Seems to be 400 companies with 400 options each lol.

I wonder what that 3884 would do as a single on a CR? Looks like it could be decent for around 400-450 HP?

Back