new guy looking for some kind advise

Mr W

I am looking into buying a truck to get involved with 4x4 truck pulling. I am wondering about what setup works best as far as the type of truck to buy. First off, i should start by saying im hoping to find a P pumped dodge to get started. Should I try to get a reg cab, extended cab, long box, or short box? Does one handle better than the other as far as hooking to the track and not bouncing? What trans should i look for stick or auto? If you go with an auto what needs to be done to keep it together? Axle wise would it be ok to weld spider gears for pulling or is it necessary to get an ARB for the front and a detrot locker for the rear? I should also mention im not trying to make the big time here. (brush pulls will work for now) Maybe in a few years it will become that but at this point I just want a good truck to start with and build it up as i get more experience pulling it. I know a lot of you on here have tons of pulling experience so I figured maybe I could take advantage of the knowledge you have come up with from your past experiences hooking to the sled. BTW- this truck will not be a street truck- (trailer queen so i dont feel bad about breaking parts) Anyone willing to help a guy get into this sport?

For everyone of your questions, your gonna get 50 damn opinions. Almost all of those questions are going to be opinion-based answers.

I'm not trying to be an ass at all but did you try the search button?? Every one of those questions have been answered numerous times in multiple threads.

That said, if i were shopping for a ppump dodge, I'd prolly look for 96+ extra cab long bed trucks with 5spd. And preferably a dually. Those will have (arguably) the better 215 ppump iirc. The autos still had the 180 pump I believe.

It won't be a huge deal tho to start with an automatic truck tho. I'd prolly go ahead & call up Georend to order a full built trans & convector & lock/unlock switch.

I've been out of the dodge circle a while so others are gonna hafta give you any further advise.

Screw the dually and year of truck preference cause neither will matter. Your going to have to or will need to have a pump built which won't really matter what pump you use. The stock cam and things are going in the garbage or getting reground. So any pump will be good. Find you an extended cab long bed. If you have the $$$ to do an auto go for it. But a good Haisley dual disc in a 5 speed will be more durable and much cheaper. Thats my opinion.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input 2 tone12v. Ive been doing a lot of reading and I wasnt sure if it would matter if I got a truck with the higher horse inj. pump or not. Diesel power (the mag) recomended getting the higher horse pump but what you said about needing to change it anyway makes sense. I dont want to jump into anything having any second thoughts. Im gonna have one shot at this so i gotta make it count. You also helped me out with that trans question. Ill be doing the manual for sure. I had doubts about an auto anyways. What do you think of south bend clutches? I put one in my ford and hated it in my daily driver because it was ssoooooo noisy. Sounded like throw out bearing was shot so made it tough to sell to potential buyers even with the south bend paper explaining the noise. The thing never slipped though. I paid over a grand for it soooo not sure if it was a good decision. Thanks again.

buy a used pulling truck will save you tons of money, theres plenty for sale on here. Or start from scratch and spend a ****load of $ get it dialed in right and then sell it ,like everyone else does.:lolly:

$1000 likely won't get you a good pulling clutch from any of the clutch manufacturers. Sorry.

buy a used pulling truck will save you tons of money, theres plenty for sale on here. Or start from scratch and spend a ****load of $ get it dialed in right and then sell it ,like everyone else does.:lolly:

X2!

If you take your time and look you can find really well built trucks for cheap. Usually for about 1/3 to 1/2 of what it cost to build. Good luck!

South Bend clutches are good. I just don't recommend them for pulling at all. Never had ANY luck with them in pulling. Street driving them very hard I have had nothing but good luck with them. So for pulling I would recommend a Kenny's pulling parts or a Haisley clutch.

The 1000 clutch was for a 250 hp turbo'd IDI motor so in that case yea 1000. will get you a clutch that will hold up, but i agree im headed into the big leagues here powerwise so a 1000 clutch wont get me far anymore! I just wondered what you thought about them cause I see they have sponsored a few of the pulls ive attended.

Its doesn't get any better of a sponsor than South Bend. They support the sport more than anyone!!!

If I were buying a new clutch for pulling, I'd be getting in touch with Kenny at kenny's pulling parts & machine. They're proven & very well priced for what you get!

If you like old school, which is well proven go with p-pump.

If you want the 'new school' go common rail.

Personally I would start with P-pump. Make your first pull bone stock and go from there. Do things at your own pace, learn as you go. Learn the 12 valve motor and if you decide this sport is for you..expand your knowledge with CRs. Nothing against them, but 12 valve is going to be less expensive.

I know of a p-pumped Cummins/Dodge sled pulling truck for sale, runs great, no issues, ready to hook :)

BBD

If i were to start again i would choose a different hobby by the time you get a truck built and running good the rules will have changed and you will start all over.

:
If i were to start again i would choose a different hobby by the time you get a truck built and running good the rules will have changed and you will start all over.

:bang sad but true but if you stay with just small local brush pulls you should be fine most just keep the same rules they had 5yrs ago

Mortgage Friendly? Does that mean you gotta take out a mortgage to buy the thing or do you mean it would be good for someone with a mortgage? Seems like some of these trucks got a mortgage worth in them........ Dont know how some people do it.....

Darren it sounds like you had a bad experience with pulling. Are you involved in a sanctioned pulling association or do you pull local? That would be very frustrating to have all the hard work and invested money go to waste after a rule change. What rules are they changing that change the truck so much? My goal right now is to just be able to show up at local pulls. I dont see any bowling green hooks in my future unless I win the lottery. How is it possible to build a truck if you dont know what rules to follow? My local rules seem more based on street trucks and im guessing thats what will be showing up to pull against here in central Pa.

Back