New head, Help?

Rob24vCTD

I just put a head on my 2000 that was of an 01. I had the head magnafluxed, surfaced and a valve job done. Installed head with ARP studs, cummins gasket set #4090035, and new 150hp injectors. The problem im having is difficult, first off it is way hard to start, even if i let it run for 10 mins. and turn it off and try to restart it, second thing is at an idle it runs a little rough, not a miss but rough, and the EGT's are 400* at an idle. I put my stock connector tubes and injectors in and its still the sameI have also checked the valve lash and adjusted several times, Intakes at .009 and exhaust at .018. Does anyone have any info to point me in to sanity to get my truck back on the road? Thanks for all info.

did you try checking the lines to the fuel canister to the inj pump. I knocked one of them loose on mine just a couple months ago when i did mine.

did you tighten the inj lines before you did the injectors themselfs

maybe check your fuel filter.

maybe lift pump problems.

I dont have the fuel canister anymore, and i got 17 psi when it runs and 15 psi if i bump the starter. I did not tighten the injector lines before the injectors themselves, could that be my problem maybe??

Fuel leak was the first thing that popped into mind. Even though you don't see fuel running out on the ground it don't take but just a very slight drip. Been there done that and had a hell of a time even finding it, maybe a drip in about 3-5 min but would suck air in after shutting it off.
Keith

Maybe your connector tube o-rings are torn or wore out/leaking. When you installed them should of put new rings on and coat the hell out of em' with white lithium grease. Whose inj. did you install? I've heard a rough idel out of of some aftermarket inj. Your idel temp's are ok, where is the probe housing or head? At idel there wont be much of a temp. difference but driving around and firing on it there will be, probe in the manifold is more accurate. I always tighten the inj. push in the tube then tighten the line. Hope this helps.

I put new o-rings on the connector tubes, 2 different sets of conn. tubes both with brand new o-rings and nothing, I also swapped my stock injectors back in and still the same. my probe for the pyro is in the manifold and i also have one post turbo, both are within 25* of eachother at idle. I just dont get it, all i get while trying to start it is a whole lotta white smoke and when it starts you can smell fuel like its over fueling and it runs rough but its not missing, my temp at idle used to be around 280* and thats what i have my turbo timer set at. im stumped*bdh*

If you tighten the inj first and it sets in place you might not be able to get the cross tube to line up right. That would usually give you a leaky line where the lines enter the head.

I would check all the lines starting at the fuel tank. Might crack them loose and retighten them all.

does it white smoke with the stock inj..

It smokes white while cranking it but one it fires it dont, I think the problem is in my airdog, i pulled the line at the injection pump and there was no fuel pressure there, but if i bump the starter it has 16psi, so i think my airdog is letting the fuel flow back instead of holding a prime giving me my hard start. i used the stock carter out of a 5 gallon can and it seemed to fire up easier after i got it to fire when i first hooked it up.

Back